PDA

View Full Version : Bubble trap question

Wannabe29
03/04/2010, 08:18 PM
Hi, all. I've been searching the forum and can't seem to find an answer to this question:

Do the first and third baffles in a bubble trap have to be same height? My skimmer is an aquac remora pro. It can operate with a max height of something like 15" of water, according to aquac. I've made the first baffle in the skimmer section 14" or so. The second baffle is about the same height, only it's going to be about 1.5" from the bottom. I was planning on the third baffle being about 10" high.

After that baffle is the return section. Next to the return section, is a live rock chamber that is fed from the return line, which then flows back into the return section. The height of this LR chamber is 12 inches.

So, the return is in the middle. I'm thinking the water level in the return section can fluctuate up to (and over, in the case of a power failure) the height of the LR section divider, in this case. So, does the height of the third baffle after the skimmer even matter, in this case? Thanks, and sorry for the lack of a diagram. I have no idea how to do that on the computer...I know...sad.

Wannabe29
03/05/2010, 04:58 AM
Bump.....anyone?

sjm817
03/05/2010, 06:44 AM
I dont see any problem with that. You will have 3 water levels. The 14" level of the 1st baffle, the 12" level of the LR chamber, and the return section is what it is depending on how much water is in the system.

Wannabe29
03/05/2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I couldn't think of why there would be a problem. I was thinking that the return section height would be determined more by the height of the LR chamber as opposed to the the third baffle from the skimmer section. Plus, I'm okay with the return level getting up an over this third baffle, anyway. I don't really want the whole waterfall effect in the sump. I'm going to have that coming from the LR section. I don't really want it from the skimmer section as well.

Thanks for the response.

wlo
03/05/2010, 07:16 AM
I dont see any problem with that. You will have 3 water levels. The 14" level of the 1st baffle, the 12" level of the LR chamber, and the return section is what it is depending on how much water is in the system.

exactly, I think it is so

jeepguy242
03/05/2010, 07:21 AM
just make sure you leave enough space between the baffles for the flow your gonna have, i put mine 3/4 inch apart and i can see the flow pushing the bubbles through the trap, i got some bubbles in my tank, im gonna have to break it down and add more space to "stagnate" the water to allow time for the bubbles to rize to the surface

Wannabe29
03/05/2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah, the plan is to leave an inch between the baffles and have the middle one about 1.5 inches off the bottom. I think that's pretty standard so, I'm hoping it'll work. Oh, I'm also using a filter sock on the drain line so, I'm thinking that's going to cut down on bubbles, as well.