PDA

View Full Version : really odd question...

Anthonius
03/05/2010, 02:02 AM
alright so i wont be surprised if i dont get any responses... but has anyone put bone in their reef? as in the frame of a living thing? no flesh or rotting of course but lets say a nice clean and sun bleached set of shark jaws.

if anyone has done this can you answer a few questions for me?
1.) does it get covered in coralline or does it stay crispy white?
2.) will it leach anything harmful into the tank?
3.) does anyone have a picture of someone who has done this previously?

the reason i ask is i think it would be a pretty cool part of an aquascape maybe not quite centered but off to the right leaning up against a rock or something. plus it would be comical to see little fish swim through the jaws of what otherwise would be their demise.

anyhow im excited to get some answers. thanks ahead of time :) :bounce2:

mndfreeze
03/05/2010, 04:18 AM
Its just calcium I would imagine, as long as its totally clean...

Anthonius
03/05/2010, 04:39 AM
so the only thing i need to worry about leaching is calcium... over time anyways. good to know... i wonder how it would look with some corals growing on it.

MJT82
03/05/2010, 06:19 AM
Well, seeing-as-how the sharks actual jaws are cartilage, I'd think it may deteriorate in the saltwater environment... You'd have the teeth left over though... Am I right?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/05/2010, 07:05 AM
Bone has a lot of phosphate in it. So it may grow algae.

Believe it or not, this is far from the first question on bone.

One guy wanted to put a cattle skull in the tank. Here's the thread and my response at the time:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59410

Anthonius
03/05/2010, 12:19 PM
thanks Randy. i read your response on that thread... boyyyy oh boy do i not want the phosphates, nevermind. thanks for the info though :)

Frick-n-Frags
03/05/2010, 01:15 PM
heh :D

Anthonius
03/06/2010, 01:14 AM
I was thinking that would be a pretty cool decorative item for the tank... a small sand shark jaw or something.. you know maybe 6" wide or so nothing huge like 18" tiger shark. but i just cleared up a phosphate mess that i dont want to get back into. haha

dixiedog
03/06/2010, 08:04 AM
A human skull would be pretty awesome ... LOL

Anthonius
03/07/2010, 10:54 PM
lol... yah id love to see my clowns swim in and out of an eye socket... and can you imagine an anemone perched atop of the skull? it would look like a dead clown hahaha.

jimroth
03/08/2010, 10:35 AM
lol... yah id love to see my clowns swim in and out of an eye socket... and can you imagine an anemone perched atop of the skull? it would look like a dead clown hahaha.
Used to know a guy with a cow skull in his pirahna display, a very cool look. But FW of course.