PDA

View Full Version : Another baffle question

Tonynlo
03/05/2010, 10:20 AM
At the moment I am changing from a HOB/Sump setup to an all in sump setup. I'm building from a 30 long glass tank with ¼” glass baffles. Approx 36x12x16.

My skimmer seems to do well in about 8 ½ inches of water. I am plumbing my return 25% into the fuge 75% to display. My question is, with the fuge section being higher than all of the other sections, will I get a bunch of splashing in my return chamber? I have always been a believer in slow moving water (touch time) when it comes to the fuge so I would prefer to not have a short baffle supplemented with egg crate. The water height in my skimmer section will be 10 inches and I want the fuge to be around 12 or so inches high. The design is going to be similar to the popular Model F found on Melev’s site.

Tonynlo
03/05/2010, 02:30 PM
here is the concept. I'm not too great with drawings/sketchups but this serves the point. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Tonynlo/sumpf.jpg

uncleof6
03/05/2010, 03:44 PM
This is the best plumbing options to use for this type of sump.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/sump3-1.jpg

Couple of things: If your skimmer does well in 8.5" of water, why would you set the bubble trap at 10"? This will only reduce the power out drain down capacity of the sump, the increase is system volume will be insignificant in terms of "stability"-- stability increases in the order of doubling or tripling the system volume.

If you are dead set on "low" flow through the "fuge" than it is even a poorer idea to feed it from a drain line. Without sufficient flow rate to keep crud in suspension, it will settle out in your "fuge" and create more of what you are trying to remove. Feeding from the return line, gives the crud (if the flow is not high enough to keep it in suspension) a chance to settle where it will be easier to remove from the system, or be removed if you decide to use socks.

Low flow for "contact time" in the "fuge" is almost mythical in nature, as there is no quantifiable data to indicate that a longer contact time will increase nutrient removal. The macro will take what it needs from the water, irregardless of flow rate. Flow THROUGH the skimmer itself is "contact time" determined, but is not conneceted to the flow rate through the sump.

As far as noise from the waterfall coming out of the "fuge" that is very much flow rate dependent, especially over a relatively short baffle (<12" in length.) So having flow control on the feed to the "fuge" is called for, and better accomplished by feeding from the return line, rather than a drain line, as you should not put valves in a drain line, unless it is a full siphon (part of more "complicated" drain systems than your standard durso,) as Dursos (et al) do not respond well to restrictions in the drain line.

FWIW,

Jim

Tonynlo
03/05/2010, 07:06 PM
I think you misread my original post. I do plan to feed the fuge clean water from my return. A power out should fill to the very top of my sump without overflow. That drawing is exactly what I had planned. Wanting slow fuge water movement may be a little odd but, although I can't see it happening, I feel the tank water mixes with the fuge water a little thoroughly. It's not proven that it actually works but I don't really see the harm in doing it as long as there are no down sides to the concept. Thanks for posting.

qfrisco
03/05/2010, 07:21 PM
You should be fine, and there shouldn't be any splashing at all. I have a similar setup, except my skimmer section baffle is 12" and my fuge baffle is 14". I keep my return section water level at 11", so the water falls 3" from the fuge into the return section. There's no splashing whatsoever, especially with the toned down flow going into the fuge.

uncleof6
03/05/2010, 11:52 PM
I think you misread my original post. I do plan to feed the fuge clean water from my return. A power out should fill to the very top of my sump without overflow. That drawing is exactly what I had planned. Wanting slow fuge water movement may be a little odd but, although I can't see it happening, I feel the tank water mixes with the fuge water a little thoroughly. It's not proven that it actually works but I don't really see the harm in doing it as long as there are no down sides to the concept. Thanks for posting.

Well never said I could read......... alrighty then......

Jim

trainfever
03/06/2010, 10:03 AM
Why would you feed clean water to your fuge? The main reason for the fuge is to clean your water. If you feed clean water to your fuge, what will all the critters in there use for food? I suggest you put a tee on your drain from tank with some feeding fuge and other feeding skimmer, then have both sections drain into return area.

qfrisco
03/06/2010, 03:59 PM
Why would you feed clean water to your fuge? The main reason for the fuge is to clean your water. If you feed clean water to your fuge, what will all the critters in there use for food? I suggest you put a tee on your drain from tank with some feeding fuge and other feeding skimmer, then have both sections drain into return area.

No matter how great one's skimmer is, the water going back to the return is never completely "clean", so feeding the fuge with return water works just as well as feeding it with overflow water. Besides, the nutrient export in the fuge is for nitrates/phosphates, which a skimmer does nothing for, at least directly.