PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Edge Conversion

d2mini
03/05/2010, 02:25 PM
So i've been running a fluval edge at my office as a freshwater tank and I'm thinking of converting it to saltwater.
I know this has come up before and I know some people have done it.
So I'm just looking for any tips from those that have come before me or have researched it more, and right now I'm mostly concerned with the filtration. I was thinking of removing the biomedia/carbon/sponge and replacing with a nano protein skimmer.
Does anyone know if any commercially available skimmer would fit in the Edge's filter box?

As far as lighting, I've already replaced the stock halogens with a couple MR11 LED bulbs. In the pics below you can see the light is brighter, not as orange, and more even light spread. I would then add a couple blue led strips for better color.

As far as stocking, maybe a few zoas to start, maybe some shrooms. And a couple small fish. Not expecting to do much with it.

Thoughts?

Halogens
http://d2creative.smugmug.com/Other/6g-Fluval-Edge-Aquarium/DSC7819/803031762_TCDyP-O.jpg

LED
http://d2creative.smugmug.com/Other/6g-Fluval-Edge-Aquarium/DSC7831/803031760_HxLsY-O.jpg

d2mini
03/06/2010, 08:29 AM
No ideas on skimming?
I'm following Lavish62's lighting adventure but would love to get a skimmer going.

ziege
03/06/2010, 09:52 AM
I posted more but the server ate it.

Summary: I know of no HOB will fit in the plastic column. There are some in-tanks that would theoretically fit but not with the lights.

If I was setting up an edge I would cut/glue an overflow into the plastic collar and use a pedestal stand w/ a sump. The skimmer would go in the sump. That would also make the water level more stable...it's got to be annoying to lower the water level every time you need to reach into the tank...let the sump take the overflow automatically.

nycskp
03/06/2010, 04:06 PM
I've got Fluval Edge saltwater tanks going, one with softies and critters, snails, hermits, a few tiny fish. Chemistry stays solid, I had a hardness problem but took care of that.

I've only been in saltwater since November and added corals as soon as I could. I'd read up on lighting and was augmenting LEDs that replaced the stock halogens lamps with a 20 watt 50/50 Coralife CFL. Last week I managed two major improvements.
The first was to install a AquaClear 30 for more water flow. I found the nano powerhead to produce too much current and crowd the tank. This required surgery to both arms on the light bar, cutting them in half lengthwise.
The second was to mount a Bridgelux 1200 lumen cool white LED array I had lying around. It runs on 12V AC, as do the replacement MR11 LEDs, but needed a bigger power supply. I also had a 2500 milliamp 12VDC power supply handy.

While the color profile for the Bridgelux doesn't match what I've read corals need, I'm impressed by how much better the corals are doing and how much cleaner the tank is than it was with the Coralife 50/50 (which I used to illuminate only the left side of tank. I've placed the corals in the center of the tank, as the LED doesn't hit the edges, but even the Zoas and Green Star Polyps which get partial light are looking great!

The LED needs a heatsink, I sawed in half a CPU heatsink and this seems to be keeping things cool enough.

Photo links:
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/NYCSKP/Fluval/

Lavish62
03/07/2010, 10:46 PM
I would just use the filter as a fuge. Mount a light in the back and use cheato. It will remove much more Nitrates and Phosphates than a tiny skimmer will, the rest is done with water changes. Everyone I talked to supports that on these little tanks. I will let you know how it works for me.

Ziege I was going to make a sump and put an overflow in the tank, but I ended up not doing it. Kind of wish I did and I probably will sooner than later. I never thought about the water overflowing into the sump, very true statement. I do kind of like the fact that I can't stick my hands in the tank though. It keeps me out, and with such little water volume that's the best thing I can do to keep the tank stable.

alcove
03/10/2010, 12:34 AM
the tank is small enought to prob not worry about a skimmer you could keep up easy with water changes