PDA

View Full Version : BC skimmer

stiltman
03/05/2010, 05:27 PM
I've had the BC protein skimmer running for approx. 1 month. It was going fine until this past week.

There is now salt all over the tank. mostly along the bottom rim of the tank, back, and floor.

I recently added a good sized piece of live rock. With evaporation it really did not raise the water level all that much.

I don't have any experience with protein skimmers. Did I have the air pump set too high?

How can I avoid this in the future?

Thanks much

stiltman
03/06/2010, 07:44 AM
anybody?

bertoni
03/06/2010, 06:00 PM
I've never heard of that brand. A picture or link might help. Has anything been dosed into the water?

75gsalt
03/06/2010, 09:30 PM
Is something splashing the water out, or is the tank possibly slowly leaking at the bottom seams

stiltman
03/07/2010, 07:21 PM
biocube protein skimmer.

i'm pretty sure it was splashing out. this happened while i was away for a week and the wife was in charge of the tank.

i cleaned up the salt and it has not come back.

i think it was from having the air pump set too high.

tangtang clown
03/07/2010, 07:26 PM
What do you mean by air pump?

stiltman
03/08/2010, 07:49 AM
the biocube protein skimmer is powered by an air pump with a control valve. you are supposed to set the air so the bubbles just make it into the collection cup. I normally keep my water at the "maximum level" line. I didn't top off that day and adding the rock put the water right up to that line, so there shouldn't have been many problems with that.