PDA

View Full Version : Aquacultured clams?

acroporas
04/26/2003, 12:36 PM
Does anyone in the US aquaculture clams or are they all grown somewhere else and imported? I have not found any websites that claim that they actually grow the clams. If no one here is doing it, why is this?

What is involved in culturing clams? What do clam larve eat? How long does it take them to grow to a sellable size?

johnrags1234
04/26/2003, 01:19 PM
Does anyone in the US aquaculture clams or are they all grown somewhere else and imported?

Not to my knoweledge all are imported AFAIK. Marhsall Islands is where the ORA facility is I beleive. I know of someone (personally) who owns a facility culturing these and fish in Hawaii.

If no one here is doing it, why is this?

Mainly, the cost to have a clam farm inland. Im sure there are many other reasons, but this is probably No. 1. It is alot different than having a coral prop. facility. Also, see below.

What is involved in culturing clams?

Selecting breeding stock, parasite control, disease control, grow out (takes a long time!), suitable water source, shipping + packing, exporting issues, lighting, and feeding. Clams are only kept in hatcheries on land until they are 2-3 CM's. After this, they go into the ocean hatchery, where they are grown to the appropriate size for the appropriate market. This [the ocean hatchery phase] is another reason Inland culture is not seen.

What do clam larve eat?

Clams up to 3" in size require copious amounts of phytoplankton, as well as intense light. Larger clams will benefit from Phyto very much as well, but it is not as necasary IMO/E.

How long does it take them to grow to a sellable size?

According to Daniel Knopp; it takes years for the first adult clams to be sold. Up to this point there is no income yet the investment continues. T. crocea takes longer than most of the other species to grow to a suitable size. For aquarium use, it can be in the 2-3 Inche range (and up) and for the Japanese restaraunt market they must be much larger.

I highly recomend the Book Giant Clams by Daniel Knopp.

John:)

RonN
04/26/2003, 01:30 PM
Marhsall Islands is where the ORA facility is I beleive.

ORA does not have a facility in the Marshall Islands, it is own and operated by locals. ORA and one of the big wholesalers import farmed raised from there. Some people think that ORA raises clams in their tank, not so. They receive them in from the farms and then ship them out to retailers.

Just wanted to share that with you.

Ron

acroporas
04/26/2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks, for the info.

ADS
04/27/2003, 03:24 PM
I have been researching clam breeding and have had 3 successful serotonin induced spawns over the last year. I have kept baby clams alive for ~2 months.
I agree w/ Johnrags1234 on most. It is time consuming additionally and requires strict attention to detail to be successful.
I do believe that US continental captive clams will be available in the near future from me or someone else. Adam

acroporas
04/27/2003, 03:47 PM
What happened after 2 months? I would have thought that the first month would be the hardenst.

ADS
04/27/2003, 04:11 PM
Actually, filamentous algae and heat were to blame. The clams are 1+mm at that stage and easily succumb to algae overgrowth.
I added snails but it was too late. I also had some hot days where the system got up above 85F(since corrected).
Adam

acroporas
04/27/2003, 05:13 PM
Well I look forward to buying the first american grown clams from you. Good Luck