PDA

View Full Version : Masterflex pumps and parts -- Auto Water Change Help

rjinct
03/05/2010, 10:32 PM
Hope someone might be able to lend their expertise...

I found a great deal on ebay and rec'd the following:

Masterflex Variable Speed Motor (1-100 RPM) w/Controller
~10 ft of 6412-16 Masterflex tubing
7013 pump heads (2 of them)
7014-52 pump head
7016 pump head
7016-21 pump head

The tubing I rec'd seems to fit in the 7016 series heads, is a tight fit in the 7014 head and is definite no go in the 7013 heads. So I'm guessing the "-16" on the tubing is truly meant for the 7016 and 7016-21 heads. Everything I read is that the tubing will determine your rate of flow (within reason)...my question is if I will get the same rate of flow in the 7016 series pump heads even though the number scheme is not identical. What do the 2nd set of numbers mean anyway? The Cole-Parmer website is difficult to navigate to easily find and understand information...at least for me.

I'm planning to use this for an auto water change system so I want to be sure that the flow rates are identical since I'll be driving 2 heads from the one motor. I plan to adjust the RPM so I'm doing a total of 1% water over the course of 24 hours...probably running every 2 hours or so. I'll also do a real life test to check the flow rates, but would like to hear from the experts to see if I should start looking for another 7016 pump or to find tubing to use in the 7013 heads....but it seems so small for an auto water change application.

Any help, insight, or advice for this application would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

rjinct
03/20/2010, 02:02 PM
What do the 2nd set of numbers mean anyway

bump! Could really use an answer to this question if anyone knows.

SWINGRRRR
05/21/2010, 07:12 AM
I dont know if you still need this answered, but Ill try.
As far as the heads, the last 2 numbers mean what material its made of. -21 CRS rollers and a polycarbonate(plastic head) -22 SS rollers and polycarbonate head -52 SS rollers and a polyphenylene sulfide head. The polyphenylene is the most chemical resistant, but a bit of overkill for our uses. A -22 head is the best choice for hobbyist, IMHO.
You can search for heads on Cole-Palmer by adding a "0" to the p/N. i.e 07014-52 will get you the results.

p.s. CRS= cold rolled steel SS=Stainless steel

Just fyi, the first 4 numbers i.s 7014 will tell you the "size" of the head case. 16 heads obviously take 16 tubing. It will also tell you what series it is, Standard(same as high performace as far as hobbyist are concerend), High Performace(same as Standard as far as hobbyist are concerned), Fast load(worthless IMHO)

rjinct
05/24/2010, 11:33 AM
Great, thank you! This helps out a lot and just confirms for me that flow rates (over long periods of time) should essentially be equal regardless of the material the rollers/housing is made from.