PDA

View Full Version : Help!! My Powder Blue is terrorizing my Copperband

gs4boy
03/05/2010, 11:43 PM
Just added a copperband butterfly fish into my 135g mixed reef tank. My powder blue tang is chasing the copperband . Is this normal behavior for the PBT. I don't know what to do. I also have a purple tang, blue tang, tomato clown and they are peaceful to the copperband. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

luckyk0505
03/05/2010, 11:49 PM
I had same issue, I had 6 inch powderblue in 240g than I added

copperband. Powderblue didnt let copperbad established. Copperband

lived for 2 days. I recommend you to remove your powderblue to

QT for about week or two and let your copperband establish in your DT

than add powderblue.

gs4boy
03/05/2010, 11:54 PM
I don't have QT. Will the PBT eventually lay off??

Dakota Reef
03/06/2010, 12:19 AM
Established PBT's are usually very aggressive to any new fish. Passive fish like a copperband stand little chance. Without a QT you don't have many options.

Personally I'd return the copperband, but you could also try adding a barrier in the tank. Something like eggcrate grid or one of the in-tank acclimation tanks that will let the fish see each other but won't let the PBT attack. If you're lucky after a week or two of you'd be able to let them intermngle.

lhm nole
03/06/2010, 12:27 AM
PBT's are relentless when they choose to start chasing another fish. GL would remove the cb maybe somewhere nearby would have room for him.

IPowderBlueTang
03/06/2010, 12:42 AM
My Pbt is 2 inches and will go after any fish twice its size. Any new fish introduce gets a beating. Their beautiful fish but mean. If the Pbt doesn"t calm down on the copperband I would return it. Before it dies of stress.

gs4boy
03/06/2010, 12:48 AM
I thought the PBT had a peaceful tempermant. The PBT didn't show any aggression to the other tank mates. Before the copperband I added a carnay wrasse without any problem. Why is the PBT picking on the copperband?

SMOOTHIE
03/06/2010, 12:54 AM
It is similar to grazers that it competes with in the wild. The PB is just guarding it's territory

Creetin
03/06/2010, 06:46 AM
In a 135 the PBT will just get worse as it grows. It's a good chance it will start picking on all fish sooner or later. I have seen them become nightmares, I seen one destroy a sohal 3 times his size at a lfs. Thats not the first time either, at another lfs one had killed a sohal and a clown tang.

64Ivy
03/06/2010, 06:56 AM
Also, by not QT-ing your CB before adding it to your tank, it may not have enough fat reserves built up to survive the onslaught for very long...even if the PB did eventually back off. One will have to go.

snorvich
03/06/2010, 08:33 AM
I am not trying to be unkind. However the PBT will not relent and the CBB will not make it. No doubt about it. Also, that tank size is much too small for a PBT. Any fish that occupies the same ecological niche as the PBT will be harassed, usually until it dies.