PDA

View Full Version : How Long Can I Go Without

lilredwuck
03/05/2010, 11:44 PM
I want to drill my tank that is currently set up. I will be installing an overflow as well. I need time for the silicone to cure. How long can I go without a skimmer running? It's a HOB AquaC Remora Pro. Anything else I need to know about having the tank half empty for a couple of days? I plan on keeping the 2 koralias going, lights etc.

TickleMyElmo
03/05/2010, 11:46 PM
You sure its the best idea to be drilling a tank with half the volume of water in it? Wont that create some serious stress on the walls? Also, aren't the glass shavings going to fall into the water?

Anyways, you should be fine without a skimmer for quite a while. Heck, there's people that don't use skimmers at all....

Edit: Just saw its only a 30 gallon, shouldn't be as much of a problem with drilling as I thought

Sisterlimonpot
03/05/2010, 11:47 PM
If your signature is still accurate than you will be fine going with out a skimmer.

lilredwuck
03/06/2010, 12:08 AM
It'll be for the 65 gallon, which I found out isn't a 65. It's 36x18x21 so somewhere around 60.

Drilling any tank puts pressure on the glass, and creates tiny stress fractures. But I assume no more than if it was already drilled full of water. For the glass shavings I'll do a recommended trash bag and tape. This will be about hole number 10 I have drilled. Slow and steady will be the key for me.

lordofthereef
03/06/2010, 01:54 AM
I know plenty of people have done it, but I wouldn't recommend it. If the glass does break, you will be in a world of hurt. Also, what silicone are you referring to? Are you just adding a bulkhead? You shouldn't use silicone for that.

mcarroll
03/06/2010, 02:27 AM
I will be installing an overflow as well. I need time for the silicone to cure.

Are you just adding a bulkhead?

Above, see above above. ;-)

-Matt