PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED problem

cmygtgo
03/06/2010, 01:05 PM
I started my led last week and forgot to ground the unit, shorted out some leds and a couple were dim. I ordered replacements and a new ballast and they came today. I repaired the one heatsink and tried them and they all lit up. Fixed the other heatsink (only 3 leds,2B 1W were bad) and tried them. Now they all work except the blue line. 4 on one heatsink are working and 3 on the other. The 5 that arent working are in the middle of the line, 3 of which were working until I fixed the other 2 on the second heatsink. I checked the unit and the wires are tight, except the one incoming from one heatsink to the other but the 3 leds at the end of the line are working.

-WB+ -WB+ -WB+ -WB+ -NWB+ -NWB+ wire -NWB+ -NWB+ -NWB+ -WB+ -WB+ -WB+

WB= working blue NWB= not working blue

the wire in above figure is the wire connecting the string from one HS to the other HS
old ballast and new ballast dont help the problem so ballast is not the answer
any suggestions on what to do. Im going to fix the loose wire but I dont think that is it. Also, I cant find the camera cord to download pics to computer so I hope my figure above helps. thanks
Josh

cptbjorn
03/06/2010, 01:12 PM
Solder bridges/shorts to the heatsinks. Check the solder pads of the blue LEDs for places where they contact the screws/star.

der_wille_zur_macht
03/06/2010, 01:15 PM
any suggestions on what to do.

Look for bad connections (poorly soldered), bad LEDs, accidental solder bridges, etc. Really that's all there is to do, we can't guess exactly what the problem is without seeing the unit and testing it firsthand.

If you have a multimeter, test all your solder pads for ground faults, and double-check that all your connections are well soldered.

widmer
03/06/2010, 05:35 PM
Did I miss somewhere where you listed what manufacturer/model LEDs you're referring to? What this "ballast" is that you speak of?