PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best t5 reflector?

Moosetache
03/06/2010, 05:24 PM
Just like it says, wondering what the best reflector is for a t5 setup. Individual reflectors for each t5 bulb. 48" lights. Thanks for the input.

rtparty
03/06/2010, 05:36 PM
Aqua Illuminations here in the states. ATI if you can find them.

Reverend Reefer
03/06/2010, 06:50 PM
i think there are some other considerations, including whether or not they are individual reflectors. regardless, they list the % of reflectivity on them. i have some cheap ones that are not individual and have something like a 90% reflectivity. the ice cap ones have 95% reflectivitiy and are individual reflectors. i think the shape makes a difference as well, the ATI ones are parabolic, while the cheap ones i have are just angled. and so on....

nikon187
03/06/2010, 09:02 PM
Aqua Illuminations here in the states. ATI if you can find them.

+1. Aqua illumination all the way ( reefgeek.com)

rtparty
03/06/2010, 11:00 PM
i think there are some other considerations, including whether or not they are individual reflectors. regardless, they list the % of reflectivity on them. i have some cheap ones that are not individual and have something like a 90% reflectivity. the ice cap ones have 95% reflectivitiy and are individual reflectors. i think the shape makes a difference as well, the ATI ones are parabolic, while the cheap ones i have are just angled. and so on....

The best reflectors out there are ATI. No questions, no considerations. They are just almost impossible to get here in the States.

The next best is Aqua Illumination followed by Aquactinics then Ice Cap and Tek is the rear of them.

rodcpierce
03/07/2010, 08:51 AM
like RTParty says, ATI which you can get from reefgeek by calling or e-mailing and asking for them. The next best would be the AI Miro 4 reflectors, also from reefgeek.

KMP
03/07/2010, 08:56 AM
As someone that has always contemplated a T5 fixture; I've always had a thing for ATI fixtures. However, do some research (here on the boards). Lots of folks are having ballast problems.

rtparty
03/07/2010, 11:38 AM
As someone that has always contemplated a T5 fixture; I've always had a thing for ATI fixtures. However, do some research (here on the boards). Lots of folks are having ballast problems.

I don't think the issue is as bad as people think. You are talking about a forum where people come to ask questions and get help with issues. Of course you are gonna read about issues here on the forums.

People aren't running on here and telling every body how great their fixture has been and that they haven't had a problem. It just doesn't work that way. When I spoke with some vendors about the ATI ballast "issues", all of them said that it is very rare and ATI stands behind their warranty 100%. The ballasts are very easy to change out.

I haven't studied it enough but I would bet the majority of those that are having issues, have left the fan speed at 4.5v instead of turning it up to 9v like you should. It has also been more of a problem with the Powermodule than the Sunpower and the Powermodule is due for an upgrade soon.