PDA

View Full Version : Heater thermostats - how far off have you seen them?

amheck
03/06/2010, 09:10 PM
Just picked up a tank from a guy tonite. Its a Solana with the disco ball light on an Ebo Jager heater. He kept his temp right around 79 with a fan blowing across the water constantly. When I got the tank home the water was real cold, so I pulled out the heater, figured I'd check it to see if I could turn it up a little to get the tank back up to temp a little faster. To my surprise, it was set at 73, if I reading it correct.

So I set it at 79 and how a few hours later, the tank is up to 79.4. I'm getting ready to go to bed, but fear that this thing may be way off and I really have it set on 84 or something. How far off can these things be? I don't have the lights on, but don't have a fan setup yet.

Aaron

DevilBoy
03/06/2010, 10:07 PM
turn it down until you see the light go out then click it up one degree and you should be fine until morning. And then check your temp in the morning.

amheck
03/06/2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks, good call. I did as you suggested and with the water temp about 80, it shut off at around 72 on the dial. So I turned it back up to 73, which is where the guy had it set before.

I knew these things were not very accurate, when I didn't expect them to be that far off. Guess a RKL might be in my future soon...

DevilBoy
03/06/2010, 10:25 PM
no problem...

I know my Ebo Jager is off by 4 degrees. I have the heater set at 75 and i have too thermometers that read 79 - 80 degrees.