PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

timr
03/06/2010, 09:34 PM
So I have had my 29 up and running for 6 years (my 4th SW tank in 16 years). For the last year I have basically just kept the water level the same using my RO water with maybe 1 water change up to 3 weeks ago. I am now working on getting it back in shape and encouraging growth. The tank consist of:

Hamilton 14K 175 watt bulb
Superskimmer 65
MJ1000 PH (16 years old and still kicking) 250 gph
Rio 600 PH
40 lbs LR
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Astria Snails
2 red leg hermits
1 - 5 head frogspawn, green zoo rock, blue shrooms, a few green paly's, encrusting gorgoian (could be star polyp?) rock

I have done (3) 5 gallon water changes in the last week. I almost rarely feed the tank anything as the fish and other inhabitants are very healthy. The clown is 4 years old and the CBS is about 3.5. I have had the Frogspawn for about 8 years (from an older tank I had)

Parms are very good. 0 on Nitrates, 8 dkh, 8.0 ph, 400 calc

While all the parms are good the corals don't seem to florish or grow the way I would like. The Frogspawn is healthy but doesn't expand the way I notice in a lot of pictures on Reefcentral. The zoo's look good and seem to be healthy as well.

Suggestions?

Agu
03/06/2010, 10:19 PM
I probably feed too much, blender mush made up of mixed seafood, nori and cyclopese, fed twice a day to my ten gallon tank. I do weekly gallon waterchanges but I also have to frag out a half dozen heads of euphyllia every three months to control growth.

IME more food = more growth, but it also = more maintenance.