PDA

View Full Version : Is this alien eye chalice?

redfishsc
03/07/2010, 07:03 AM
I picked up a frag of this chalice at a coral prop facility that uses natural sunlight.

Obviously with the very low K rating, there is more brown than usual.

This is a pic I took of an identical (but larger) frag there at the facility.

Do you think this will "blue up" any where it's brown?

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/redfishnc/Captive%20Reef%20Pics/DSCN3422.jpg

nUgZ
03/07/2010, 08:56 AM
I see a ton of potential there...nice pickup.

redfishsc
03/07/2010, 12:21 PM
For $25 it was hard to NOT get it :D

klepto
03/07/2010, 03:13 PM
Is this alien eye chalice?

It is if you want it to be. ;)

Forget the common names. If it has vibrant and unique colors then it will be desirable. Who cares if it isn't an "alien eye".. "watermelon"... "bla bla"--- I'd be more concerned with what species it is rather than if it looks like some high end LE chalice. That's just me though.

I imagine that this piece will look very different under cooler color temps- as you said. And it will no doubt look very different once it has adjusted to artificial lighting.

redfishsc
03/07/2010, 03:55 PM
I agree with you on the name thing, I suppose I should really ask "will this brown turn a different color" if the ones that are normally sold as "alien eyes" turn brown under more yellow light.

I have a frag of it (a 2-3" square) right now sitting under a 250 Phoenix with a ton of Cree XRE blue LED actinics. The green has a beautiful glow, but the brown is still brown.

Most corals definitely turn more deep color (blue, purple, or red) under my lighting.... I have a tricolor acro that's looking very good, so maybe the color on this puppy will "blue up" or something.

Nanook
03/07/2010, 09:12 PM
[moved]