PDA

View Full Version : T5 Lighting causing more algae?

jk1nole
03/07/2010, 09:21 PM
I recently upgraded from power compacts to T5 Suntek Lighting. I have a 6 bulb system. I have had the new lights for about 4 weeks now. Tank is a 65 gallon.

Since hooking up the new lighting my the tank is just harder to keep clean. The glass gets covered a lot quicker and the sand gets dirtier. I broke in the corals with the lighting. Went from 4 hours first week, to 5 the next week, then 6, and finally 7.

I checked my parameters and had my fish store check them too. Nitrates were a little high... around 10-15. No phosphates. Everything else was fine.

I have 2 perc clowns, small yellow tang, yellow watchman, 4-5 soft corals, and then a clean up crew (About 25 snails total, 8-10 hermits).

I stick to a strict 10 gallon water change every 2 weeks. Always LFS water for changes and top off. I do a good job. I feed the fish once a day with mysis or Rod's 1-2 a week. I use a little microvore for the corals every other day.

My LFS recommended bringing lighting down to 4 hours again and working my way up every 2 weeks... but would that affect the algae at all. Is it possible I have too much light?

I did a 15 gallon water change tonight and scrubbed everything down.

stevek480
03/07/2010, 09:49 PM
I think it is most important you get your nitrates down and then the algae problem will resolve itself. Do you have space for a refugium with some cheato?

Toddrtrex
03/07/2010, 10:32 PM
All the new lights are doing is shinning light (( pun intended )) on an existing issue --- excess nutrients. Solve that issue, and your algae issues will go away.