PDA

View Full Version : How do you stick LR together ?

twintrades
03/07/2010, 10:42 PM
What do you use to keep your LR Together ?
I plan on setting up my tank getting the water mixed and letting it run for a day or two while the LR is being shipped to my house.should i put the sand in before or after the rock ?

When i set the rock in id remove some water for displacement perposes. Is there an adhesive that is non toxic and sets under water ?

Is that the right way to do it ?

Any help would be great !

Shane Hoffman
03/07/2010, 11:04 PM
What do you use to keep your LR Together ?
I plan on setting up my tank getting the water mixed and letting it run for a day or two while the LR is being shipped to my house.should i put the sand in before or after the rock ? Rock first, then sand. The reaseon for this is stability. If the rock is on the glass instead of the sand it wont tuble down when your sand burrowing fish dig into the sand.When i set the rock in id remove some water for displacement perposes. Is there an adhesive that is non toxic and sets under water ? Yes, at the LFS there is a 2 part epoxy. Its like putty in a tube about 6 or 8 inches long. You can save alot of money by just going to the plumbing department at home depot or lowes and buying it there. Just ask someone where the 2 part plumbing putty is. It will be one color in the center and another color on the outside. When you smash it together you have about ten minutes max to get it where you want it before it starts to harden.Is that the right way to do it ?

Any help would be great !

Shane Hoffman
03/07/2010, 11:09 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100648874/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

here is a link to what I have been using the last couple years

SDahmer
03/08/2010, 01:58 AM
Wal mart carries Loctite epoxy, that's what I use. I believe Lowe's has it too. IMO rock before sand, it'll be more sturdy.

twintrades
03/08/2010, 06:16 AM
So do you put the rock in then sand around it, then water ? Can i do that with water in the tank ? Does the epoxy stuck to/cure under water?

Or should i have the water mixed and redy in a trash can ? Do my rock work then add the water ?

Drft626
03/08/2010, 06:54 AM
I am setting up a new tank. I put the LR after I put in the sand is this going to create a nitrate problem like I read. I will push them deep into the sandbed will that help?. Sorry to hitchhike on the thread.