PDA

View Full Version : Should I put sand in new tank first or water first?

kc350twin
03/07/2010, 10:57 PM
I have always had tanks small enough to make saltwater and add it in. This tank is a little to big for me to do that. I have also always added sand first.

Should I add RO water, then salt, then sand?
or
Sand, water, salt?

The other question is that I purchased the AragAlive sand. If I put the sand in first add just RO water is it going to kill the bacteria I paid extra for?

Thanks
Kc3

Luckylouse
03/07/2010, 11:03 PM
I would have just seeded your new tank with old sand. I would still do that. Live sand from the store is not a guranteed things.

Add your Sand, then your sand, than your rock work in that order. It's easy and it works.

Percula9
03/07/2010, 11:08 PM
If you put R/O water on the sand you will kill the bacteria. The method I prefer is to put the sand in first and then cover with a garbage bag. Place a bowl on the bag and then pour salt water into the bowl so it gently goes over the side. When the water is up a bit you can remove the bowl. Remove the bag when the water is about half way up and fill the tank more. Leave space for your live rock. This procedure will minimize the sand cloud from forming and produce fairly clear water.

Luckylouse
03/07/2010, 11:13 PM
If you put R/O water on the sand you will kill the bacteria. The method I prefer is to put the sand in first and then cover with a garbage bag. Place a bowl on the bag and then pour salt water into the bowl so it gently goes over the side. When the water is up a bit you can remove the bowl. Remove the bag when the water is about half way up and fill the tank more. Leave space for your live rock. This procedure will minimize the sand cloud from forming and produce fairly clear water.

Too much work.

JKust make sure you are putting your SW mix on the sand and you will be ok.

kc350twin
03/08/2010, 12:09 AM
Luckeyhouse, on you first post did you mean water first or sand. You wrote sand twice.

Yes after reading a few threads I should have just bought dry sand.

lordofthereef
03/08/2010, 02:36 AM
If you aren't adding premixed water first, I would add water, then salt, let it mix for about 24 hours, then add the sand. If you are adding premixed water, it really doesn't matter. To avoid a sandstorm when putting sand in FIRST, put a plate or bowl on top of the sand, place your tubing that will be plumbing the saltwater into your bowl, and start plumbing the water in. If you decided to do sand after that water, use something like a pvc pipe that reached to the bottom of the tank and pour your sand into it (sort of like a funnel). These methods will push the least amount of sand into your water column.

kc350twin
03/08/2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks. That sounds like a plan.

bertoni
03/08/2010, 10:31 PM
Moved to New to the Hobby for more views.