PDA

View Full Version : haddoni anenome and safety of clowns

Isernhagen
03/08/2010, 10:35 AM
I have a green haddoni carpet that is very sticky and my ocellaris clown pair have not gone near it for the 6 months they have been in the tank except the one time the large female clown accidentally got too close and it looked like the anenome stung her. My question is "are all clowns immune from the sting of the Haddoni and safe to put in the tank". I have a spawning pair of maroons that I thought about putting in there to see if the anenome would host them but would not want to take a chance that this Haddoni might harm them. Thanks

Toddrtrex
03/08/2010, 10:57 AM
It is possible that some clown won't ever be able to acclimate to a haddoni. Though I personally have never had that issue, currently have a; pair of pink skunks, pair of percs and a pair of saddlebacks all being hosted by Haddonis --- separate tanks.

WDLV
03/08/2010, 11:04 AM
I have limited experience with haddoni but the one thing I did have a problem with was that my latezonatus female hosted it (part time) and wound up with an unsightly black sting mark on her wide band that never went away.

hartnell
03/09/2010, 09:48 PM
I swear my clarkis go right inside my carpets mouth.i dont think my carpet will ever eat a fish cuz them clarkis won't let anything near her carpet
the carpet is at least 14lnch across

lalo809
03/09/2010, 11:30 PM
My clowns went in the first week i put the carpet in
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac191/lalo809/9eef230f.jpg

jupiter
03/10/2010, 07:40 AM
IMO, stick to clown species it naturally hosts. My preference is A. polymnus, the saddleback clown. They don't call it the Saddle-back anemone for nothing.

jupiter
03/10/2010, 07:49 AM
There have been stories of a carpet being a perfect host to a clownfish then one day, the clownfish is gone!

Haddonis are natural hosts in the wild so they shouldn't be too scary to keep with clowns but in the wild, only certain clowns use them so we should bear that in mind.

I've noticed a lot of carpet anemone posts lately. Interesting.

Toddrtrex
03/10/2010, 09:56 AM
IMO, stick to clown species it naturally hosts. My preference is A. polymnus, the saddleback clown. They don't call it the Saddle-back anemone for nothing.

Like this? ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/saddlebackpair4.jpg

jupiter
03/10/2010, 10:20 AM
Like this? ;)

Absolutely! Saddle-backs are beautiful clowns and one of my favorites. With all this carpet talk I feel like getting a pair; but I won't.