PDA

View Full Version : Should I get new skimmer/filtration?

easydoesit
03/08/2010, 01:21 PM
Details:
50 gallon tank (couple months old, LR, Fish, couple corals, BTA)
AquaC Remora w MaxiJet 1200
2 Koralia 3's

I hate my skimmer. I get really, really watery tea and nothing more.

1. Is there anything I can do to mod a Remora to produce thick black gooey skimmate?

I'm finally winning the war against algae and it's dying and accumulating when I clean the tank. So now I have lots of detritus on the bottom of my tank because I don't have the necessary filtration. I try siphoning the detritus out when I do weekly water changes but I have a DSB and it generally doesn't help. I am purchasing a HOT Magnum, but wanted to wait incase I should purchase a new skimmer with it.
I don't have a sump, but am interested in one or a refugium.

2. What are the thoughts about overflow kits to add sumps?
3. Has anybody used in-tank refugiums and are they really beneficial?

So if I decide to go with a new skimmer, I would like to get a nice, large working one. Not a HOT style or POS.

4. Can I get a great skimmer that works in the cabinet below the tank without a sump? If so what are good reliable models?

Any other solutions that you can think of are welcome. I just want to pull the detritus out and make sure I have a reliable skimmer.

easydoesit
03/08/2010, 09:23 PM
Well, looks like I may have to figure this out on my own.

bertoni
03/08/2010, 11:04 PM
1. I hated my Remora Pro, but I never found a skimmer in that size range that seemed to be any good.

2. Lots of people use hang-on overflows, if that's what you mean, but I'd get the tank drilled, if possible. I could never trust the U-tubes to maintain siphon.

TorisFishes
03/08/2010, 11:19 PM
just curious whats your clean up crew? they should handle alot of that in an established tank.

easydoesit
03/09/2010, 02:47 PM
Right now my CUC consists of 6 cerith, 3 trochus, 1 stomatella, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab, and a ton of brittle stars and unknown bristle worms that rarely leave the rocks.

I was actually just thinking about getting some more. I'm waiting for my LFS to get in some money cowries though before I make the trip.

kclewis
03/09/2010, 02:53 PM
If you do go with an overflow look into the CPR brand. I ran on fir years on a 40 breeder. As long as you keep the airline clean they work great. Then you can build/but a sump fuge combo and house your new skimmer there.

Sugar Magnolia
03/09/2010, 02:56 PM
1. Is there anything I can do to mod a Remora to produce thick black gooey skimmate? you can try replacing the MJ1200 with a Mag 3. My Remora skimmed wet as well.

2. What are the thoughts about overflow kits to add sumps? The best overflow on the market is the Lifereef overflows. Worth every penny. Mine never lost syphon, in fact they are guaranteed to never lose syphon. http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html

3. Has anybody used in-tank refugiums and are they really beneficial? I have the CPR in-tank refugium and grow chaeto and mangroves in it. CPR also makes HOB refugiums that are a good product. I have used the smaller one in the past.

4. Can I get a great skimmer that works in the cabinet below the tank without a sump? If so what are good reliable models? I don't believe there is such a thing. It's either HOB or in-sump.

Sugar Magnolia
03/09/2010, 02:59 PM
Right now my CUC consists of 6 cerith, 3 trochus, 1 stomatella, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 emerald crab, and a ton of brittle stars and unknown bristle worms that rarely leave the rocks.

I was actually just thinking about getting some more. I'm waiting for my LFS to get in some money cowries though before I make the trip.

You definitely need to bump up that CUC. A few turbo snails, about 20 more ceriths (at least) 20-30 nassarius. I'm sure you have more stomatella. they are nocturnal, so check at night.

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

bertoni
03/09/2010, 04:03 PM
Nassarius eat primarily leftover food, and 2-3 should be all that's needed in that size tank. I suspect 20 cerith snails would starve to death over a 6 months to a year, unless the tank was heavily overfed. I'd look at better filtration before adding more cleanup animals.

easydoesit
03/09/2010, 07:04 PM
Okay, I'm making a trip to the LFS this weekend to get some more liverock to prep for a mandarin dragonet down the road. While I'm there I'll stop up on the CUC. I only plan on adding a small number of snails at a time because I don't want to over do it. I bought three turbos before and they cleaned out the tank in a week and the CUC looked like they were starving. They do TOO good of a job for me.

I'm definitely checking up on that overflow kit and seriously thinking about an in-tank refugium. The only thing I'm worried about is overflowing the tank if the kit failed. I think there's a failsafe for that if you plan right though.

Thanks for the help everyone!

scheri11
03/09/2010, 07:13 PM
I am new at this but I get very dark water out of mine. I have a DAS. WOW it just seems to be doing a great job I think. Like I said I am new at this