PDA

View Full Version : Need help with UV

nube
03/08/2010, 08:01 PM
Want to use a UV on a 110Gal FOWLR. From reading it would seem that a 25Watt unit will work out fine as long as I maintain the proper flow rate. Two questions: 1st) Is a return line the best location for this?(I'm using a sump in the basement) and 2nd) I'm looking at a "Terminator" brand, has anyone had experience with one of these? Thanks Alot

Crustman
03/08/2010, 08:38 PM
I have a 39 Watt Tetra pond UVC device hooked up to my 65. Since running it all the time, I have noticed cleaner water and less algae in the tank. Corals are happier. It needs to come at the end of your plumbing just before the filtered water enters your tank.

Aquarist007
03/08/2010, 10:43 PM
I have a 39 Watt Tetra pond UVC device hooked up to my 65. Since running it all the time, I have noticed cleaner water and less algae in the tank. Corals are happier. It needs to come at the end of your plumbing just before the filtered water enters your tank.

If running a refugium then I would have it working on the water before the area in the sump where the refugium drains into

wooden_reefer
03/09/2010, 12:43 PM
The return line is fine but generally you have to have a bypass to have the correct flow rate.

The open loop flow rate is too fast for the UV, in general.

This point is debatable not because UV can use high flow, but because ideally the open loop flow can be slow to be effective as an open loop.

If you had designed the open loop to be as slow as 2x, you can use a UV without a bypass. In this case, it is about 220 gal per hour.

You can also use a dedicated small pump in the sump for the UV.

Many or most people have design for the open loop of 5x or greater, in such a case you have to use a bypass. In such case, you design so that gravity ensures flow thru the UV but you also restrict the flow to what you want. The UV bypass should be lower in arrangement than the return water main pass but must have a valve. Place the vlv in the inlet to the UV so that the UV can be removed and serviced when you shut the vlv.