PDA

View Full Version : Adding another clarki clown

betoballer1
03/08/2010, 09:53 PM
I just added another (I'm assuming) female clown to a 175 gallon tank.
Everything was ok, untill 10 min into settling in, the other clown started attacking it..
so I took it out and now have it in another tank..
So my question is,
How would I be able to make it safe for the new clarki in the 175 without having the other one harass it?

Toddrtrex
03/08/2010, 10:52 PM
How many existing Clarkiis did you have before this?

Adding a female to a tank that has an existing clown, which will most likely already be a female is only going to end one way -- poorly.

Need to make sure that you are adding a male (( a lot smaller then your existing clown )) when trying to pair up.

betoballer1
03/09/2010, 12:28 AM
There both around the same size, I was thinkin of using an old acrilic box to house the new clarki in the same tank for now.
Would this some how better things?
Also when I added the new clown earlier, I noticed them both do a jerking movement..
What does this mean? Thanks

Gold Stripe
03/09/2010, 02:09 PM
The same size is a problem. The trick to mating a pair is to let them fight it out without one getting seriously injured. Best chance is one considerably larger than the other. The smaller usually gives in pretty quickly. When they are the same size they will fight to the death.

The jerking you saw was just a ritual they use in determining which one will be dominant.

Some have had success by separating them in the same tank where they can see each other but not get at each other. My problem with this is that eventually they have to settle it. They can not co-exist. One has to be dominant so eventually the fight will occur wether you actually see it or not.

betoballer1
03/09/2010, 03:17 PM
I think I'm goin to end up taking it back to the lfs, or ima try adding both to a another tank and see how it goes.. thanks for the help