PDA

View Full Version : filter sock

dragonnight914
03/08/2010, 10:15 PM
i just got a eshoops 20 gallon reef sump that came with a filter sock. how often should i clean the sock. can i put it in the washer it has a plastic ring. should i use bleach or no.

Aquarist007
03/08/2010, 10:33 PM
You can run the sock or not run it at all. If you prefer to run it then I would change it out every other day.
You can use bleach---just make sure you have a way of drying out the sock so the bleach can evaporate before you use it again.

mjtncsu
03/09/2010, 12:58 AM
I use the same type of socks and I have washed them on the gentle cycle for months without damage. I wash mine in hot water with bleach for the initial cleaning, and then I wash them a second time without bleach. I change mine every week or so, but if you are seeing spikes in nitrates, you may need to change them more frequently.

lordofthereef
03/09/2010, 04:22 AM
IME it depends on how frequently you feed. Is it a 200 micron or 100 micron? The 100 micron filters smaller particles but also clogs up much faster. I know people who need to swap daily, some only weekly. If you are going to run with a sock I highly recommend getting a couple spares. You will inevitably need them.

troyman
03/09/2010, 06:14 AM
always use dechlorinator bleach always leaves a residue