PDA

View Full Version : Best T5 fixture for 75g??

Adam_T
03/08/2010, 10:56 PM
So I am trying to decide as to which T5 fixture I am going to have when I upgrade from my current 55 gallon up to a 75 gallon this summer.

Right now I have a 48'' Current-USA Outer Orbit which has 2x150w 10k HQI bulbs along with 4x54w T5HO Actinics. It also has 18 lunar lights. Anyway...I am trying to get rid of this fixture and go back to all T5 so if anyone has any recommendations...LMK!

Thanks.

maynardjames
03/08/2010, 11:16 PM
check out t5 q & a thread. grim reefers the t5 man

rtparty
03/08/2010, 11:44 PM
I would go with a 6x54W ATI Sunpower. If you plan to do LPS and softies then just use an actinic to help lower PAR and help POP some colors.

Adam_T
03/08/2010, 11:59 PM
How does everyone feel about the Current-USA Nova Extreme Pro? It is a 6x54 watt T5HO fixture that is fan cooled, comes with decent bulbs and individual reflectors...and not to mention is 1/3 the price of a ATI Sunpower on currentusa's ebay page....haha.

rtparty
03/09/2010, 12:05 AM
How does everyone feel about the Current-USA Nova Extreme Pro? It is a 6x54 watt T5HO fixture that is fan cooled, comes with decent bulbs and individual reflectors...and not to mention is 1/3 the price of a ATI Sunpower on currentusa's ebay page....haha.

Crappy bulbs and the reflectors are not on PAR with the ATI stuff. I would look into a Tek before a Current fixture.

kc350twin
03/09/2010, 12:06 AM
What are you keeping and what are the tank dimensions?

You asked for the best. How deeps your pockets? Most people will say ATI is the top dog.
Definitely ask Grim he would know best.

Kc3

Breathe13stars
03/09/2010, 12:14 AM
I have the Current USA 6 54w fixture, Great fixture in my opinion. Runs cool, Individual reflectors, 2 power switches, 1 turns on 2 bulbs which i use atinics on it for starting and ending the day , the other switch turns on the 4 others. The legs are very sturdy, and can be adjusted. Protective lens is a breeze to clean it just slides out. Overall its a great fixture IMO. Only thing i would change on it is the bulbs it comes with i didn't much care for them but who's to say you wont. I read a thread earlier saying you get more out of a 6 bulb fixture than any other one you can get. Not sure if it's true but it sounded good. I hope this helps some. Good Luck

Adam_T
03/09/2010, 12:43 PM
True...I did ask for the best didn't I? Hahaha.

I agree, Tek and ATI would definitely be the way to go, ATI preferably. But I have also heard great things about the Current-USA Nova Extreme Pro 6x54. Active cooling, multiple switches, individual reflectors...blah blah. And I would agree with Breathe13stars, the bulbs are definitely not as good as ATI...BUT have tested at 300 par at the bottom of a 21'' 75 gallon tank...which is what I plan on getting (the tank).

Thanks for the help!

Saltfinsax
03/10/2010, 12:03 AM
I have been using the Nova Extreme Pro for almost 2 years now. You can grow just about anything you want under it (just not with the bulbs that come with it though). I got new bulbs after about 4 months and it made a big difference. The bad things about the fixture are the fans are kinda noisy and the stand brackets aren't very strong and its kinda big and fat compared to the other nice sleek fixtures. O and the reflectors or I should say reflector as it is just one sheet that is contoured around each lamp.
Its worth the money but I kinda wish I had a better one.

lalo809
03/10/2010, 12:16 AM
I have the 6x54 nove extreme pro and a few people that been at my house were amazed about how much light i get from this fixture.