PDA

View Full Version : clownfish not growing - parasites?

burnah
03/09/2010, 04:11 AM
aloha!

ive had my true percs (dont know whether WC or captive bred) for almost a year now. both were under 1" when bought, one was smaller. the bigger one grew to one inch in the first 3 months but then stopped. the smaller one grew hardly anything.

they eat alot (daily fed once to twice until they take no more), but i never see any poop. i occassionally see white strings. should i be worried about intestine parasites? should they be treated and what would be the appropriate medication?

thanks in advance, martin

burnah
03/16/2010, 08:12 AM
i found a treatment containing praziquantel in a soluble form, should i take out my clowns and treat them? they have shown forms of skin lesions in the past...

ILLiDaN
03/16/2010, 03:03 PM
i try a more natural method a combo of rods and mix of cyclopeeze and garlic

cdsheid
03/16/2010, 03:30 PM
I googled this for another person a little while ago and found a great anwer i was unable to find it again but it did say that change in inviroment newly arranged tank, shipping, ect. Pretty much stress can cause white stringy poop. Which will go away as soon as they are comfortable again. If the problem persists then it can be a parasite or infection/ disease and they had the treatment on the site i found but i cant find it again. But my suggestion is do some research threw google. Good luck. :thumbsup:

burnah
03/17/2010, 01:24 PM
i feed cyclopeeze and vitamin enriched pellets and i would consider one year in my tank no new environment. they show skin lesions from time to time too :(

MarinaP
03/17/2010, 01:35 PM
aloha!

ive had my true percs (dont know whether WC or captive bred) for almost a i occassionally see white strings. should i be worried about intestine parasites? should they be treated and what would be the appropriate medication?

PraziPro is the treatment of choice for intestinal parasites.

Post a pic of skin lesions.

burnah
03/17/2010, 01:45 PM
i will when i see my tank again (weekend). they dont look deep, mostly a round shape of whitish skin which will eventually fade to orange. ive seen real wounds too but i guess that comes from fighting as the female is harsh sometimes. i started to be worried when she got marks too, but they were always more superficial.

ive already found a treatment containing praziquantel. should i treat my other fish too (watchman goby and wrasse)?

thanks for your advice, martin

MarinaP
03/17/2010, 01:50 PM
should i treat my other fish too (watchman goby and wrasse)?

Yes.

burnah
03/17/2010, 01:51 PM
oh that would mean i have to take them all out? :O

burnah
03/20/2010, 11:52 AM
ive tried to take pictures but they move too fast for my camera to get a sharp image.

it looks like they lose scales in round shapes. at the moment both of them have round shapes on their first white stripe completely bare of scales. they are still white on these spots... the areas on the orange seem to have healed, they are still visible though (dark edge around previous shape)

i hope you can help! thanks in advance