PDA

View Full Version : sump questions

sassyfrassy
03/09/2010, 09:13 AM
OK don't anybody laugh - my sump is a 29g tall so the footprint is only around 11 1/2 X 23. Bought a used SWC 200. I looked it up on line, but the picture gave me no indication of the size. Yes, I did read the dimensions, but I was having brain-fog that day and they didn't register. Received it yesterday and it is HUGE!!! It takes up almost 2/3 of the tank! What I have left with which to work is around 9". I have 3 glass partitions 11 3/4 X 17. The skimmer needs to sit in only 8 - 10" of water. Questions: will the skimmer produce bubbles in the sump? Could the return pump be under the platform that the skimmer will sit on? Is there any problem w/phos. reactor circulating from and back into the compartment w/ skimmer? Is there any way to configure it so I can still have some chaeto or grape calerpa? As a last resort I guess I could swap tanks - fuge tank is 30L which is 35 X 11 1/2" - and close the hole that is drilled in it, and drill the 29T to use as fuge. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Carolyn

Chris27
03/09/2010, 10:13 AM
Anything will work, provided it holds water....in your case, the only constant you need is a chamber large enough for the skimmer to sit in that has a bubble trap on one side. A over / under baffle configuration will break the bubbles that escape from the skimmer as they flow through them. As for your media reactor, the input and output can be from the same chamber, there is usually enough flow through most sumps to ensure that the same water isn't being recirculated.

sassyfrassy
03/09/2010, 12:32 PM
The water will go from sump into fuge. Noticed some people are even putting air stones or air injectors in fuge w/chaeto. So couldn't return pump be under shelf for skimmer even tho some air bubbles will go into fuge? I'll have over/under partition in fuge b/f water returns to DT.

sassyfrassy
03/09/2010, 01:44 PM
Really need advice - would like to put in the partitions today. Thanks.

sassyfrassy
03/10/2010, 12:42 AM
bump