PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question (light or not?)

Stickboy97
03/09/2010, 11:47 AM
Ok so I'm starting my tank cycling (75g) with some uncured live rock. I'll probably add some shrimp as well to really kick it into gear, give it a few weeks, test the water & add some more curred live rock (tell me if this is not the right thing to do).

Anyway, should I go ahead and add my lighting to the tank? I have a 4 bulb T5 light that I intend to use. Will it do anything to help or hurt the cycling process?

Thanks
Shane

I would search but the search feature has been turned off, I'm sure this has been asked before.... sorry.

Mr James
03/09/2010, 11:54 AM
I always left the lights off. There really isn't a reason to have them on.

Why are you going to add more live rock later? Does it have live corals on it or something? I, too, am cycling a 75g reef tank; I pick up the live rock from the airport tonight (got the rock from TBS and can't wait to see what is on the rock)...

star27624
03/09/2010, 11:56 AM
If the rock is uncurred then you will not need to add the shrimp. Uncurred liverock has enough dead/dying organisms to provide enough to start the cycle process. It also has a pretty potent smell.

If there are corals or macro algae that you want to try to save you will need the light, else wise leave it off to minimize nuance algae. If these are on there and you do want to save them you will need to do a soft cycle with frequent water changes to lower ammonia levels, and remove debris.

Mr James
03/09/2010, 11:59 AM
oh and, run your skimmer...!! Like you didn't know that...

Stickboy97
03/09/2010, 12:19 PM
I always left the lights off. There really isn't a reason to have them on.

Why are you going to add more live rock later? Does it have live corals on it or something? I, too, am cycling a 75g reef tank; I pick up the live rock from the airport tonight (got the rock from TBS and can't wait to see what is on the rock)...

I have almost 30lbs of uncurred live rock now and I read somewhere on RC that if you are going through your cycle that it may kill off some of the items on your live rock that you want. So what I have now will be more of a base rock; then I will add some nicer rock later & hope that I go through a soft cycle & it won't kill as much off.

So lights off, no need for shrimp, and I guess I should go ahead and hook up my skimmer.

thx!

Mr James
03/09/2010, 12:27 PM
Skimmer is a must, or at least in my book. Realistically, how would you "keep the stuff on the live rock that you want to keep??" I have been reading about using a chemical during the cycle to keep the ammonia levels at a low, so that some things can possibly survive the cycle. I doubt I will do it as I have always done the fishless cycle and it has always worked well.

wooden_reefer
03/09/2010, 12:28 PM
Cycling is the cultivation of nitrification bacteria onto a medium of filtration.

Since nitrification does not need light; cycling therefore does not need light.

Sometimes there is an incidental need to have light during a cycle in order to save some lives on rock that need light, but cycling per se does not need light.

I never cycle with recently collected LR so I never need to have light when I cycle.

Stickboy97
03/09/2010, 12:35 PM
Skimmer is a must, or at least in my book. Realistically, how would you "keep the stuff on the live rock that you want to keep??" I have been reading about using a chemical during the cycle to keep the ammonia levels at a low, so that some things can possibly survive the cycle. I doubt I will do it as I have always done the fishless cycle and it has always worked well.

Last time I cycled a tank (1990) I used damsels & didn't put any LR into the tank until well after it was established. Things have changed a lot since then. :)

Cycling is the cultivation of nitrification bacteria onto a medium of filtration.

Since nitrification does not need light; cycling therefore does not need light.

Sometimes there is an incidental need to have light during a cycle in order to save some lives on rock that need light, but cycling per se does not need light.

I never cycle with recently collected LR so I never need to have light when I cycle.

Thanks, I think I will leave the lights off (help reduce the algae) and then crank them up at the end of the cycle & add more (nicer) cured LR.

wooden_reefer
03/09/2010, 01:19 PM
Last time I cycled a tank

Newbies cannot avoid the initial idea of "cycling a tank". When you become more experienced, on your next cycle, I hope you will get away from the idea of "cycling a tank". "cycling a tank" is a very rigid and combersome concept. A tank is just five sheets. You really do not cycle a tank.

You should more and more think of "cycling the medium intended for a tank". Nitrification will be more nimble and flexible this way, especially during QT and other disease control of fish.

Mr James
03/09/2010, 11:42 PM
You should more and more think of "cycling the medium intended for a tank".

C'mon dude. Call it what you will. Cycling a tank is common verbage used and known by all.