PDA

View Full Version : quick anemone question

knights27
03/09/2010, 03:06 PM
is a atlantic and a hoddoni carpet about the same to take care of?

jupiter
03/09/2010, 07:25 PM
Are you thinking of keeping your Atlantic carpet?
The Haddoni is not a difficult anemone to keep, it just has a lot of negatives if you aren't prepared for them. They burrow (need deeper sand), they sting (kill non-clowns and some clowns), grow large (need wide tank), and need strong light.
If you really want a carpet, a Haddoni is probably the easiest but I use the term lightly. It is natural host to sebae, saddleback, and clarkii clowns. It hosts a few other species but these are a little less common and probably not ones you'll find in the LFS. I would stick to saddleback clowns if you want to see it hosting. These are not likely to be killed by it.

If you keep the other carpet, just be careful. I kept mine with a clarkii and it took a lot of time before the fish adopted it. It is a potent stinger and I was always scared of it. Like I said before, it used to hurt me if I touched it.

What do you currently have in your tank:
1) Size
2) Light
3) Substrate
4) Other inhabitants
5) Age of tank

These will at least give people a chance to tell you if the host carpet is acceptable for you. In all honesty, it is an easy anemone to keep but if your tank isn't suitable it doesn't matter how easy. A puppy is easy to keep unless you keep it in a closet at 40'F.

knights27
03/09/2010, 08:11 PM
55 gal have false percs cleaning crew couple fire fish ive had it runing for like 6 months atleast small yellow tang i have these 10k bulbs that i got at the fish store on it atm i have a coral life metal halide on the way. i am going to try to keep this to see if i can keep a more expensive instaed of paying 100 bucks and it dieing