PDA

View Full Version : hyposalinity help

tmar77
03/09/2010, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, so I have never done a hypo salinity treatment before and i need some help. I have a pretty general idea of what to do, but it would be great if someone could give me a step by step explanation, in detail. Thanks for your time.

krowleey
03/09/2010, 05:30 PM
your best bet is searching in google. read, read and read some more. it's not difficult but you do HAVE to have a refractometer. Also do not use reef builder PH buffers to raise the PH, use baking soda baked in the oven at 350 for 30 min. Use very small amounts it's ultra powerful.

steelersfan
03/09/2010, 05:48 PM
I am not sure if this is allowed, but here is a step by step instructions for Hyposalinity treatment.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

sfboarders
03/09/2010, 05:50 PM
Directions found here.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/hyposalinity.html

+1 on krowleey's suggestion. Cook the baking soda and mix with RO water. Drip line it in. This is the biggest PITA about hyposalinity

krowleey
03/09/2010, 06:04 PM
I am not sure if this is allowed, but here is a step by step instructions for Hyposalinity treatment.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

that is an excellent write up by Lee Birch. i follow that guide to the letter and never have parasites in my tanks.

steelersfan
03/09/2010, 06:12 PM
that is an excellent write up by Lee Birch. i follow that guide to the letter and never have parasites in my tanks.

:thumbsup: I try to read all of his posts.

krowleey
03/09/2010, 06:19 PM
:thumbsup: I try to read all of his posts.

not to try and hijack this thread, but shoot me a PM about the two vortech's in your tank. Im curious to know if you have sand storms in that 120?

tmar77
03/09/2010, 07:09 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone. Those articles were a big help.

Chris27
03/10/2010, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't go crazy worrying about pH in QT, no matter how much buffer you add, it won't be high. pH is kept high in a Reef Tank to ensure calcification in corals, but a low pH for just fish is fine.

krowleey
03/10/2010, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't go crazy worrying about pH in QT, no matter how much buffer you add, it won't be high. pH is kept high in a Reef Tank to ensure calcification in corals, but a low pH for just fish is fine.

sorry but i can't agree with this fully. I agree PH is far more crucial for reefs, but fish can have problems with low PH, if left in too long. Also another important issue is in hypo you WILL be doing water changes...lot's of them. When you mix that salt, the PH will be 8.1-8.4. and there you go again now lowering the PH to match QT. Baking soda works great, if baked at 350 for 30 min. It's extremely potent, and cheap. Hypo is easier on the fish, but much more work for the aquarist. If you want easy for you and harder for fish, go with copper. In the end i prefer Hypo, and so do the fish over any other treatment imo.

Chris27
03/11/2010, 08:38 AM
sorry but i can't agree with this fully. I agree PH is far more crucial for reefs, but fish can have problems with low PH, if left in too long. Also another important issue is in hypo you WILL be doing water changes...lot's of them. When you mix that salt, the PH will be 8.1-8.4. and there you go again now lowering the PH to match QT. Baking soda works great, if baked at 350 for 30 min. It's extremely potent, and cheap. Hypo is easier on the fish, but much more work for the aquarist. If you want easy for you and harder for fish, go with copper. In the end i prefer Hypo, and so do the fish over any other treatment imo.

Why will you be doing water changes a lot with hypo? A well established bio-filter should eliminate the need for that....

JHemdal
03/11/2010, 11:57 AM
Chris27 is basically correct - marine fish can tolerate extended periods at a pH of 7.5 or more. Below that, there can be issues in some fish. The cool thing about a lower pH during hypo is that if you get an ammonia spike because the beneficial bacteria isn't operating properly, it will be in the less toxic form, more tolerable by the fish.

Jay

krowleey
03/11/2010, 01:30 PM
Why will you be doing water changes a lot with hypo? A well established bio-filter should eliminate the need for that....

you will be doing water changes because when you drop your salinity in QT that well established bio-filter takes a nap for awhile. depending onthe number of fish in QT, keeping your water quality high requires frequent water changes.

krowleey
03/11/2010, 01:35 PM
Chris27 is basically correct - marine fish can tolerate extended periods at a pH of 7.5 or more. Below that, there can be issues in some fish. The cool thing about a lower pH during hypo is that if you get an ammonia spike because the beneficial bacteria isn't operating properly, it will be in the less toxic form, more tolerable by the fish.

Jay

ugh:hmm5: