PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris gets mad! Tips?

celamb89
03/09/2010, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone!

I currently have an ocellaris hosting a LTA. Whenever I feed the nem (I feed it raw shrimp) the clown will grab the food taking it by force from the tentacles and throw the chunk to the sand somewhere else that is not in the nem.

So whenever I feed the nem I have to stay near the tank and evict the clown while the nem eats during this time the clown gets really mad and picks up sand swims and "missbehaves" and stuff if u saw it u would it's mad.

What can I do to change this behavior? Will it always be like this?

elegance coral
03/09/2010, 08:35 PM
Try feeding smaller pieces, like PE mysis. Drop the mysis so that it spreads out over the anemone. This way, even if the fish removes one or two shrimp, the anemone has time to get a good portion of them down.

hartnell
03/09/2010, 09:25 PM
thats what you get for trying to take your clowns job
lol!

Trademark
03/09/2010, 10:00 PM
gotta love temper tantrems( can't spell) I agree with EC

celamb89
03/12/2010, 06:52 PM
sorry I was out of town for a bit!

thats what you get for trying to take your clowns job
lol! hahah lol!
I know Ill try to feed smaller stuff because the clown gets very mad its funny hahah I have to scare him away with a net or something but he's starting build some bravery because the net is not scaring him anymore at least not as much!

So ill try to feed smaller stuff so that the clown cant get to it

thanks everyone!

celamb89
03/24/2010, 10:55 AM
Just as an update...

I never thought this would be the next step but, instead of dropping the raw shrimp on the anemone I started to just drop it in the tank and the odonus niger would eat it but I noticed the clown tried to grab it too! So I dropped another piece of shrimp while the odonus was eating his and the clown grabbed it and fed the anemone!! :)
Its done this twice now! I guess the clown got mad because I would go in his territory or something, but now all I do is drop a piece in the tank and the clown feeds the nem :)

thanks everyone for the posts!

sfinley
03/26/2010, 04:13 PM
in most cases once a clown claims a nem it will feed it anytime its fed

WaffleWalffle22
03/26/2010, 09:01 PM
My clownfish never feed my nem and they have been hosted for like... 18 months. :(

clowns101
03/26/2010, 09:07 PM
My clownfish never feed my nem and they have been hosted for like... 18 months. :(

Dont feel bad,out of all my pairs of clowns I dont have one that feeds.AnD alot of us here on RC have a theroy that the clowns arent feeding the anemone but hiding food for later,littel do the clowns know the anemone will eat it.

This isnt the best vid but it shows that the fish will keep picky at the food till the anemone eats it!Or brings it into the tentecals!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtfQ3aIBpGY

celamb89
03/27/2010, 09:32 AM
Dont feel bad,out of all my pairs of clowns I dont have one that feeds.AnD alot of us here on RC have a theroy that the clowns arent feeding the anemone but hiding food for later,littel do the clowns know the anemone will eat it.

From what I've noticed in my tank. It seems that the clown does feed the nem, he takes the chunk of shrimp and droppes it in the nem. I also have an odonus niger that always looks at the shrimp like he wants to steal and gets close to nem, when the clown sees this he will swim or bump in to some tentacles of the nem like if he wants it to close up and grab the shrimp really good.
What Im saying is that the clown intentionally makes the nem really grab the shrimp and eat it faster.

At least that's how I see but the option of making the nem a fridge also sounds like something a clown would do hehe :)