PDA

View Full Version : What kind of frag plugs do you prefer (SPS and LPS)?

redfishsc
03/10/2010, 05:27 PM
I am about to set up a small 15" cube frag tank that will have mostly SPS frags in it, and I may set up an additional 29g for softies. They are already plumbed into my system (the 29g is a refugium right now).

Anyhow, I'm about to either order or make a bunch of frag plugs. I already have about 500 small ceramic tiles (the 1" square ones from Lowes) that were leftovers from a kitchen we installed. These will be for soft corals.

For those of us who have frag tanks, do you prefer to grow SPS on the small golf-tee shaped plugs that fit into eggcrate, or do you prefer flat ones like the tiles or small cement 'wafers' ?

Any input is appreciated, and please feel free to post a link to your favorite place to buy frag plugs cheap.

luther1200
03/10/2010, 05:49 PM
I like the plastic ones that lock into the egg crate when you twist them.

redfishsc
03/10/2010, 06:09 PM
Hmm. Hadn't heard of those. I'll have to google that one.

paraletho
03/11/2010, 10:45 AM
Redfish Luther is right. I just bought a bunch from AquaCave. Some of the ceramic tees are too lose and snails and algae eating fish will bump them lose if you are putting them in eggcrate. Also watch out for the soft aggregate or sand types frags come lose from them real easy