PDA

View Full Version : Pre tank build - seahorse

steelcaveman
03/10/2010, 05:40 PM
I currently have a 34 gallon tank with three reidi seahorses and one perc.
I have good success with corals and my fish tend to live.
With that said, I want to setup a seahorse tank - about 120g.
How many seahorses is right for this sized tank?
I want some suggestions for tank design, filtration, circulation.
Bare bottom? Background?
What are some good corals for seahorse tank?
I will be keeping rics, zoos, and a few LPS corals - as I have a weakness for corals. Lighting will likely be 2X250MH + 2 T5's + Moonlights.
I have a big sump w/refugium & Bubble Magus skimmer.
For flow I am considering a Tunze Nano Wave box.

Thanks in advance!

I am visual - so pics would be great.

Octoshark
03/10/2010, 06:20 PM
Here is a trusted tankmates guide, which includes corals: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates/tankmates.shtml

steelcaveman
03/10/2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks, I've used the site a few time. The three rating on the perc is well deserved. My CB black perc showed aggression once towards a seahorse. The seahorse promptly beat him up - a super sized can of whoop a##.

TamiW
03/10/2010, 07:39 PM
For filtration, I'd just stick with live rock, a refugium and a good skimmer. I prefer substrate but I think its more of a personal preference thing. Just stear clear of crushed coral chunks. Too much detritus can get trapped an a seahorse might accidentally snick it up. For corals, d stay away from anything but softies. Some lps might be okay but any that sting are bad. Flow for the tank should be somewhere around 10x to 20x turnover.

The number of seahorses is dependant on the species, but for common species its roughly 20 gallons per pair + 10 gallons. So 30 gallons for a pair of h. erectus, 50 gallons for 2 pair, etc. . . That's with no other fish. If you plan on keeping other fish, you'll need to take that into account.