PDA

View Full Version : Starfish Help!

Danley
03/10/2010, 05:49 PM
Hello, two nights ago I noticed my sand sifting starfish was missing maybe 1/10 of one of his legs, I know that his arm will regenerate with some time, and I didnt know what caused this, this morning I woke up and my moonlights were still glowing =) And I noticed two of his arms were cut in half, and my "peppermint" shrimp was by him. (Im not sure what kind of shrimp it was looked like a peppermint, and had a black tail, i dont think it was a camelback but im not sure I had two) anyways I figured ehh ill just let him fend for himself tonight I came home and three of his legs were cut in half if not more. The shrimps were picking at him, In short I got a little frusterated and pulled my shrimp out with 30 min of coaxing and well, flushed them (I felt HORRIBLE afterward because I feel like its my duty to preserve the ocean, and i know im gonna catch heck for posting this but I promise itl never happen again. =) I felt BAD!!!! My mom wanted to burn them alive hehe a little aggresive, she was just mad because she loves starfish, I told her I wanted to give them away but my parents just told me to flush them =( Anyways the shrimp arnt in there anymore and my starfish looks like hes about to die, will he regenerate his arms? If so what can I add to help him with this process? Also, i was wandering if I could have two starfish in a 65 gallon tank, I wanted one thats colorful, maybe stays on the glass or something. And btw my sand bed is pretty established but is there anything i can put in the sand as a treat for it, like food or something? Thanks for all the help!

Salamander
03/10/2010, 06:19 PM
That's the typical scenario for SS Stars.

They eat all the micro fauna out of the sand bed and then fall to pieces as they starve to death. They're not a good star to have in anything but the largest reef tanks with large expanses of sand.

IMO your shrimp were totally innocent and just getting a free meal from a dieing creature.