PDA

View Full Version : Quick QT question

DJPB
03/10/2010, 07:14 PM
My QT is setup and running. I just brought a fish home. I have Mardel CopperSafe and Formalin 3. Can I use these together, or just use one of them. Thanks.

Fish_wiz2
03/10/2010, 07:33 PM
ONE AT A TIME!!!! Copper (type that coppersafe and cupurmine is) and formalin do not mix and creates a more toxic form of copper. Please use one first then allow it to run its course and remove via carbon or etc then add the other. Wiz ;)

DJPB
03/10/2010, 07:34 PM
Which one should I start with?

sedor
03/10/2010, 08:40 PM
Are you using them to combat a disease you can see, or just as a preventive. I know there are people who use an entire med kit on every new fish they bring it, but keep in mind each of those treatments will add a great deal of stress to the fish. IMO, its better not to treat unless necessary.

Chris27
03/10/2010, 08:49 PM
Use the coppersafe first, make sure to use a test kit that reads chelated copper, and dose until you have a good concentration, for coppersafe, I think they recommend 1.0. I would bet a nickel your fish has Crypt even if you don't see it.....many of us treat prophetically for that reason.

DJPB
03/10/2010, 09:00 PM
This is a Lineatus Wrasse fresh from the ocean that's been in trans-ship for at least 48 hours. I'm just going to let him chill in a dark QT and use the meds as a preventative.

The coppersafe says 5ml / 4g - does that seem right? Seems like a high dosage.

dh350twin
03/10/2010, 09:59 PM
i qt all my fish,very rarely do i have to medicate them,just watch him for awhile and feed him good so if you do medicate he is fat and happy.He may not eat while being medicated.only medicate if needed.IMO