PDA

View Full Version : LTA not attaching yet

edsbeaker
03/11/2010, 10:02 AM
Hi,
I put an LTA on the sandbed yesterday and it still seems to be floating around in the same spot but not anchoring itself. Is this pretty common? My previous LTA anchored immediately so just don't know.
Thanks

Toddrtrex
03/11/2010, 10:15 AM
IME, a fully healthy one will attach right away.

I have found that digging a hole in the sand, turning off the powerheads, and acclimating it to your lights all help in getting an LTA to settle in.

How deep is your sandbed?
What lights do you have?
What color is the LTA? Is its mouth tightly closed?

edsbeaker
03/11/2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Todd,
The sandbed is 4 inches, and he is a purple stripped, but the anemone has seemed stressed and unhealthy from the beginning. I got it yesterday from DD. Immediately when I opened the bag its stomach seemed inside out and later there was a thick white mucous looking substance coming out. It was drip acclimated for 1 1/2 hours. Today the mouth is completely open. Lighting is T-5's

Any hope?

Toddrtrex
03/11/2010, 10:23 AM
Hi Todd,
The sandbed is 4 inches, but the anemone has seemed stressed and unhealthy from the beginning. I got it yesterday from DD. Immediately when I opened the bag its stomach seemed inside out and later there was a thick white mucous looking substance coming out. It was drip acclimated for 1 1/2 hours. Today the mouth is completely open. Lighting is T-5's

Any hope?

YEa, I just read your post in the CMAS forum about it coming from DD.

That isn't a good start to it, but I wouldn't give up hope. Did you get a chance to look at its foot?

I would put some window screening b/t the tank and the lights -- 3 layers, with removing a layer every 5-7 days. If you can't get some window screening, I have plenty that I could give to you.

edsbeaker
03/11/2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, I looked at it's foot. At the very base of the foot only the rim of the foot is extended, The inside of it seems retracted into the anemone. So if you could picture the foot almost concave in shape. I will cover the top with some screening. It's tentacles are not retracted, though. I buried it into a deep hole. Not easy for me to do since I'm so short! But at least he's not swaying back and forth anymore and his mouth is now closed.

I know they are hard to ship, is that why you think my chances from DD weren't so good to begin with.

Crustman
03/12/2010, 02:20 PM
Mine wouldn't attach and was bleached so I just put him in a net fish basket at the top of my tank. About 4 weeks later, he fed and got his color back. Put him back on the bottom, it attached and lives happily with a huge clarkii and crab.

jbud2418
03/13/2010, 02:18 PM
It took mine about 5 days to stick to the glass under the sand been fine for about 10 months now

edsbeaker
03/13/2010, 03:03 PM
It took mine about 5 days to stick to the glass under the sand been fine for about 10 months now

Glad to hear that. Mine seems to be doing better, and the anemone FAQ on this board says that the sand dwelling anemone's sometimes take longer to attach. I have him buried in pretty good now and some rocks surrounding him so he can't blow away.

Thanks.