PDA

View Full Version : Is styrene grid safe??

catfish52
03/11/2010, 03:06 PM
Seem to have lost the foam threads somehow, which is what got me interested in this. Home Depot carries a light grid made from styrene. Is that OK to use?? Seems I read on one of these threads that styrene was a no-no. I want to try my hand at the foam wall thing. Am considering trying to do it using slate roofing tiles instead, which are readily available here in the mid-atlantic and I have used them for other tank projects. I can cut and shape it at least as well as a piece of plastic grid and if the pond foam will stick to it, just might work. Also, the slate should be heavy enough to evercome the bouyancy of the foam that I've heard other folks had to deal with.

BeanAnimal
03/11/2010, 08:07 PM
Lighting grid is fine. Everything plastic in our aquariums is either Styrene, ABS or PVC (all of which are Styrene and/or Vinyl based)... with Styrene being the most common due to cost.

PVC = Polyvinyl Chloride
Styrene = Vinyl Benzene
ABS = Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene

Notice PVC is a Vinyl Based plastic... as is Styrene and ABS has Styrene in it :)

Soultwater
03/12/2010, 06:33 AM
So what type of plastic is not safe? Not sure where I have seen it but some black plastic is not safe right?

catfish52
03/12/2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks Bean!! I'll pick some up and give it a try.

Acrylics
03/12/2010, 07:13 AM
So what type of plastic is not safe? Not sure where I have seen it but some black plastic is not safe right?There have been "internet rumors" of ABS leaching stuff out of it - not true. I've yet to find anyone who can document this and the housings of many powerheads and other accessories are made from this plastic.

James