PDA

View Full Version : sick wrasse :(

christyf5
03/11/2010, 08:34 PM
Picked up a small melanurus wrasse last Friday (Mar 5) it arrived at the store on Wed (Mar 3). Ate right away and ate up until Monday night. Tuesday it was back to eating but by Wednesday it was doing this funky aim at the bottom glass and shimmy its mouth along the bottom glass thing. I thought it was odd but thought maybe there were some goodies in the detritus or it was wondering why there was no sandbed.

Wednesday night I could clearly see it was having swimming problems. It was mostly hiding under the rocks "resting" but was making an effort to swim but was losing its side to side motions. I turned off all the pumps except for the return pump (about 2200gph) and a tunze 6045 and left him. I'd previously had a female die within 48 hours of getting it home so I figured this one was going to do the same.

This morning I expected to find a body out front and center of the tank or at least under the rocks. Couldn't see one, lights weren't on yet. This afternoon I come home and there he is, still trying to swim but its almost like he's trying but his body isn't responding and he's tiring out.

Is it cyanide? Bacterial? Should I try treating him? For what? I have some maracyn two I think and I can race out to the fish store to hopefully find whatever is suggested. I just have this feeling that well, if he's not dead yet, there must be something I can do.

Any help appreciated!!

LargeAngels
03/12/2010, 08:08 AM
Not sure, but never a good idea to keep any of those wrasses without a sand bed. Most common issue is that they damage their mouth agains the glass trying to dig down. After their mouth is injured then they most likely starve to death. Plus the stress of not being able to safely dig down when they feel threated takes a huge toll on their health.

DJPB
03/12/2010, 02:29 PM
Not sure, but never a good idea to keep any of those wrasses without a sand bed. Most common issue is that they damage their mouth agains the glass trying to dig down. After their mouth is injured then they most likely starve to death. Plus the stress of not being able to safely dig down when they feel threated takes a huge toll on their health.

Could not have said it any better