PDA

View Full Version : Substrate question.

jbarr2000
03/12/2010, 07:16 AM
I bought a bag of Nature's Ocean #0 white sand at petco the other day. This is the real fine white stuff, .1-.5mm. Something like this ok for a nano or would their smaller aragonite sand be better? I'm sure it's fine but "live sand" in a bag kinda makes me nervous so I was just going to start with dead sand and let it sit for a while with the live rock.

Link to the product page, scroll down just a bit.
http://www.reefsand.com/

unda_da_see
03/12/2010, 09:23 AM
the finer the sand the easier it is to be blown around, so you have to take into consideration what type of flow you want. any burrowing fish you want? might be hard to do that with ultra fine sand.

Tadashi
03/14/2010, 08:15 PM
I have oolitic sand in my nano. That being said I have a MP10 at 50% near the top of the tank. I also had to strategically place my rock to break up the flow. At first the sand will get blown around so use low flow until the tank breaks in. Soon you will have enough crud adhere to the sand to keep it down for the most part. I also started with dead sand and put in live rock to seed it. Worked like a charm. I have tons of worm tracks.

On the sides of the tank I use caulerpa to export some of the nutrients from the sand. It also helps keep the sand down.

Watchman gobies like to filter the sand in their gills. I also used nassarious snails to keep it clean. At first the sandbed looked like crap. After about 3 mo it started clearing up and stays mostly white.