PDA

View Full Version : Too much foam in my Remora skimmer

babyduke
03/12/2010, 07:31 PM
Just set up the Remora skimmer and it seems like the cup's collecting too much foam that it's leaking through the top hole. Plus the cup has lots of water in it. Any suggestion.

marioensf
03/12/2010, 07:38 PM
Try keeping the cup as high as possible; let it break in if it's brand new

babyduke
03/12/2010, 07:41 PM
Is it normal for the cup to collect water? Water is rising slowly and pushing the foam out through the top hole.

Percula9
03/12/2010, 10:02 PM
I personally think those skimmers are not good. I don't know any of my LFS's that sell them anymore. Some units work well and others don't. They are inconsistent from unit to unit.

marioensf
03/12/2010, 10:11 PM
What kind of pump are you running on it? if you have a pump that's over-rated for the skimmer it might be the issue. I have the std. Remora running it with a MJ1200 and works flawlessly. Foam should push a little of it out of the respiration orifice on the cover but a minimal amount, nothing to flow through the little hole.

babyduke
03/13/2010, 08:32 AM
I'm running with a MaxJet1200. I'm afraid if I keep this running while I'm away, I'll come back and find a big mess on the floor. How do I collect more dry foam without all the water?

sdc19982002
03/13/2010, 08:44 AM
As said above, raise your skimmer cup. I have my rubber o ring about an inch from the bottom of the collection cup, you may need to go a little lower. Give it a chance to break in a little.

LSBoogie
03/13/2010, 08:59 AM
1" seems to be a good number on mine as well. I had it at halfway and filled the cup with icky water in about 10 hours. Now at 1" ish and 12 hours later and not even to the 1" mark yet, much thicker looking....tastes more sewage sludge now...:frog:

Tank14
03/13/2010, 09:02 AM
Same thing is happening on my skimmer. There is so much foam and the bubbles do not pop. My skimmer is about 2 years old though.

babyduke
03/13/2010, 09:14 AM
Cup is at its highest but the water is still to high and pushing the foam through the hole. I googled about and it says if the water contains stresscoat it can produce too much. Out of habit from my freshwater days, I do add quite a bit of stresscoat so maybe that is the cause here. I'll be doing a major water change so hope that'll help.

marioensf
03/13/2010, 11:28 AM
Same thing is happening on my skimmer. There is so much foam and the bubbles do not pop. My skimmer is about 2 years old though.

You need to clean the intake, un-screw the nylon plug inside and use a round bristle brush, do the same from the barb hose connector, this skimmer is meant to be cleaned too for them to perform good

marioensf
03/13/2010, 11:32 AM
Even pricey skimmers go nuts when some stuff is added; might be the reason why yours tends to foam and overflow. I use to buy long ago Microvert and every single time I poured some in the tank, the skimmer would just go crazy and pop the lid up on the collection cup.
The inner tube/riser of the collection cup sits lower than the top rim of the collection cup, if the skimmer works normally, the excess skimmate should pour/flow back into the reaction chamber.