PDA

View Full Version : Lights out for how long

shackman
03/12/2010, 07:44 PM
How long would you have to have lights off in order to kill every bit of Dino if that would even work. I'm talking like weeks or more

Fish_wiz2
03/12/2010, 08:57 PM
Trust me, it can be up to months. I've had dinos live in a barely lit bucket... Is your tank new? I would suggest trying ways to stop growth before eliminating it.

shackman
03/12/2010, 09:30 PM
my tank has been setup for about 7 months but i don't have anything in it besides rock and a few fish so I will do pretty anything I just don't want to kill my live rock but I guess that is where all the dino lives right?

shackman
03/12/2010, 09:33 PM
I was wondering what would happen if I took m rock out and left it out of water for a while, would it kill the dino

Fish_wiz2
03/13/2010, 12:20 AM
How are your parameters? Your tank is pretty mature but still a bit young IMO.

shackman
03/13/2010, 02:08 AM
My parameters are good, I have tested over and over again. I just want to get rid of this no matter what it takes since I don't have any corals in it so what do you think? I think I should be able to do more drastic things for that reason not having to worry.

gkb
03/13/2010, 04:54 AM
Please, do not remove the rock all at once and "kill it." You will have a huge mess on your hands, and no more "live" rock.

Are you using aged water (made up for at least two days, aerated, and brought up to temperature) for typical water changes? If not, you may be creating mini cycles. Changing more water to fix the problem can actually make things progressively worse.