PDA

View Full Version : Need urgent help raising my skimmer!!!!

STEELERFAN747
03/12/2010, 10:17 PM
Hey all. Let me start off by thanking all of you ahead of time for any and all help offered. I recently started a new build thread for my new 46g tank but have hit a small bump in the road.
I have purchased a skimmer and was told that it works best at a water level of 6 3/4" but my sump divider wall is 10" tall which means I have to find a way to raise my skimmer by about 3 1/4".

Now I know that I could make a stand out of PVC and egg crate but was hopeing to make something a little nicer and was reaching out to all fellow rc members to help me out if you can and provide me with ideas and possibly pictures of what you are and possibly what I could use.

Thank you again.:o

woodwrangler
03/12/2010, 11:14 PM
Sorry - PVC and Eggcrate

Luckylouse
03/12/2010, 11:18 PM
It's only a sump bro. Get the Eggcrate going.

docstomper
03/12/2010, 11:21 PM
First off. GO SEAHAWKS!

Do you have an open tank and your looking to show off your sump so you want it nice and clean looking? Is this for personal preference. I have seen a skimmer raised with egg crate and pvc and let me tell you I wasn't paying any attention to it when I was staring at an ATB 1050. Are you showing this off to lots of reefers? Let me tell you that anyone who doesn't reef, couldn't give a cr&p at whats going on beneath the tank.

Rhodan
03/12/2010, 11:26 PM
pvc & eggcrate

Luckylouse
03/12/2010, 11:50 PM
If you really want to get fancy you can come up with a Acrylic custom job but again... nor necessary.

Bouncer
03/13/2010, 04:03 AM
STEELERFAN747, go to HD/Lowes & buy a piece of acrylic. Cut it to specification. Make a form (wood block or brick). Place the piece of acrylic on the form & heat it with a torch to bend the sides.

Typlus5
03/13/2010, 04:15 AM
I made a couple of couple of items out of extra pexi-glass. First was a probe holder, small peice w/90 degree bend and three holes drilled and used weld on to secure. Looks super clean and works perfect. Second was a skimmer holder, pexi-glass bent into a square then used weld on for the final connection. It worked well enough but the edges didn't all come out consistent and wasn't happy with the stability. Much happier with the PVC/egg crate combo. maybe if I were to do it again, would use gray pvc and black egg crate for some pizazz:-)

STEELERFAN747
03/13/2010, 08:38 PM
Seems like everyone is leaning towards the PVC and eggcrate and it's not that it has to have a perfect look to it ( eventhough I would like it) but my main concern is with any vibration noise that the PVC might create. Any thoughts or experiences?

Frick-n-Frags
03/14/2010, 12:30 AM
howabout cut off a beanie-baby box to the perfect height or just find a plastic box of the correct height to set it on. that would be a very clean "stand" to put the skimmer up on.

STEELERFAN747
03/14/2010, 07:20 AM
howabout cut off a beanie-baby box to the perfect height or just find a plastic box of the correct height to set it on. that would be a very clean "stand" to put the skimmer up on.

Thanks for the idea. I do however think that finding a plastic box about 6-7" in diameter and only 3 1/4" high may not be that easy and when it comes to cutting it, I'm afraid it may not come out level. I think I will ask Felix of Reefsavvy (who is building my sump) if maybe he could build me one out of glass (that may be easier and alot cleaner looking.

jim.l
03/14/2010, 09:18 AM
Hit the tupperware cupboard when the wife's not around. There's something exactly the right height in there!

75gsalt
03/14/2010, 09:45 AM
I use an old sour cream container with a bunch of holes

mfinn
03/14/2010, 10:30 AM
I have my Bubble Master 250 sitting on a homemade colored acrylic acrylic box.

What's with this "perfect",, "cleaner" look?
Is it where people can see it?

It's just a skimmer stand that is usually hidden.

Don't sweat the minor details, they will just make you crazy

noahm
03/14/2010, 10:35 AM
I had some scrap and made a simple 'bench' style (two ends and a top) stand out of 1/2" acrylic, though PVC would be pretty simple too.

JimmyK
03/14/2010, 10:42 AM
Hit up a your local Tap Plastics, (if you have one) or who ever is your local acrylic fabricator dealer. The scrap bin will have the pieces you need. Glue together and ready to go. Also you could use the heat and bend listed above. Either way you should not have more than $20.00 in the project. Good luck!

cabezon2469
03/14/2010, 11:04 AM
bah, a couple of two by four scraps laid in a v.

Navyblue
03/14/2010, 11:14 AM
I use large coral chips with egg crate on top to provide a flat surface. Unlike PVC it is rock solid. Many doesn't like corals chips because they trap detritus, but I actually like them. The detritus serves as pod's food and the countless crevices serve as a refugium and I have tonnes of pods in there.