PDA

View Full Version : Lighting MH

Chago09
03/12/2010, 10:29 PM
ok house was just sold. We already bought the new house. Start planning new tank.

I plan on doing a 125 or 150. I think this tank may go a little different. Either tank will be a shallow 24" tank. I don't plan on having corals maybe just some polyps or something to add colour. Mostly FOWLR. Will 2 x 250watt mh be enough light. I have no experience with them and have only used T% so I don't know. I just love the shimmer and thats all I want.

Or will my tank look really dark? how wide of a area will MH cover? like would a 6' tank need 3 to avoid dark spot?

bertoni
03/12/2010, 10:53 PM
Most MH setups will cover a square area. The usual quoted size is 2' by 2', but that can be adjusted for different lighting levels. For FOWLR, or a few easy soft corals, the lights are just for your eyes, so most anything would be fine. I'd put three pendants over it for a reef, but some simple T5 HO or even PC lighting will work.

SATAN FISH
03/12/2010, 11:34 PM
two 250 watt MH will be PLENTY of light just for looks. Even on a 150 gallon. I have one 400watt on my 125 gallon. It sits about 18" above the water and covers the entire tank. When it comes on, it turns the basement into daytime, not to mention the tank itself. Two of them won't look anywhere near dark.

gkb
03/13/2010, 04:29 AM
I am using two 175w MH's on a 125g, and it is MORE than enough light. I even keep a few SPS's and anemones. Running the 175's, rather than higher wattages is cheaper, saves quite a bit of electricity over the long haul, and reduces heat issues a bit. Choose the right bulbs for your taste, and you will not be disappointed.