PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this beastie for me please?

cLaTTeReD
03/13/2010, 03:21 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/ash_cartwright/mantis049.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/ash_cartwright/mantis041.jpg

many thanks

ash

lionbacker54
03/13/2010, 09:46 AM
i'm going to guess g. ternatensis.

gozermantis
03/13/2010, 10:29 AM
same here g. tern

Nightwitch
03/13/2010, 12:33 PM
I'd guess g. graphurus because of the mottling, the bright blue legs, and the fact that the antennules aren't pale blue like in some of the other male terns I've seen. But it's just a blind guess.

Whatever it is, it's an awesome color morph.

Thurge
03/14/2010, 04:12 AM
G.tern.
Not only does it have the blue Atennual scales but it appears to have red intersegmential lines. But the pattern is like none I have seen inthis species.
Hybrid?

Nightwitch
03/14/2010, 01:42 PM
How much of a guarantee are the red intersegmental lines in identifying a gonodactylaceus?

justinl
03/15/2010, 12:01 AM
I see intersegmental lines. I do not see red intersegmental lines. I agree with G. graphurus. G. terns also usually have carapace spots don't they?

cLaTTeReD
03/15/2010, 03:17 AM
thanks for the replies folks, had a look at quite a few pics and he looks more like G. Terns but not exactly, i think Thurge could be onto something with the hybrid theory?

he is lovely anyway the photo dosnt do his colours justice, the orange is super flourecent

:)

Nightwitch
03/15/2010, 08:16 AM
Clattered - where did you get it?

Gonodactylus
03/15/2010, 08:47 AM
Gonodactylaceus graphurus.

Roy

cLaTTeReD
03/15/2010, 10:56 AM
i got it from cambridge coral tech - in cambridge UK
dont think that will help with the identification though :)

he came in on some live rock and was killing the fish in the display tank

Nightwitch
03/15/2010, 11:18 AM
Dr. Roy's IDs are about as definitive as you can get. So it's a graphurus. Look at the Roy's List page here for more information about that species: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_graphurus

I really want a graphurus badly, but it seems the US is one of the few places where they are hard to get.

cLaTTeReD
03/15/2010, 01:50 PM
well ive never seen one in the UK before

ive had him for a while now and he isnt eating, he took 9 glass river shrimp when i got him

but now he wont eat, there are 2 snails, 3 hermits and 2 black mollies in with him and he wont touch them

any ideas ?

thank you

DanInSD
03/15/2010, 02:13 PM
Sounds like he's full! Could be getting ready to molt, or getting used to surroundings. Give it more time, offer food every few days until he takes something.

Regards,
Dan

cLaTTeReD
03/15/2010, 02:23 PM
well there is lots of stuff crawling and swimming around so i will just leave it till he has picked that lot off

thanks again

ash

Thurge
03/15/2010, 03:23 PM
How much of a guarantee are the red intersegmental lines in identifying a gonodactylaceus?

Well enough that Dr. Roy has them listed as a distinguishing char. for G.tern.
I would like to hear what Dr.Roy has to say about the intersegmential lines on this specimine.

I suck at this game :hmm6: .
If I go by the distinguishing charistics, it's the looks that gives it away, and if I go by the looks, the distinguishing charistics are the way to go.

How big is the mantis? Its probably one of the most striking mantis I have ever seen!!
And its my favorite species.:thumbsup:

cLaTTeReD
03/15/2010, 03:52 PM
i would say he is about 3.5 - 4 "

very interested in what im doing all the time and seems to really like watching me

Nightwitch
03/15/2010, 04:29 PM
Well enough that Dr. Roy has them listed as a distinguishing char. for G.tern.
I would like to hear what Dr.Roy has to say about the intersegmential lines on this specimine.

I suck at this game :hmm6: .
If I go by the distinguishing charistics, it's the looks that gives it away, and if I go by the looks, the distinguishing charistics are the way to go.

How big is the mantis? Its probably one of the most striking mantis I have ever seen!!
And its my favorite species.:thumbsup:

You're still #1 on my list of people to email if I find a reliable source for graphs in the US, Thurge.

Thurge
03/16/2010, 10:07 AM
I appreciate that. It does seem that there have been more available lately, but it's still hit or mis.

cLaTTeReD
03/19/2010, 10:31 AM
thought i would try some softies in the tank to make it a bit more interesting, i can confirm Dr. Roys identification page he is VERY aggressive and busted my finger up pretty good.

gloves for rearranging the tank in future i think!