PDA

View Full Version : Disease Progression: Kills All! and Questions

dahouck
03/13/2010, 09:19 AM
55g (upgrade from 29 3 months ago). System running for 2+ years. Inhabitants were 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, 2 firefish, coral beauty, powder brown tang (sm). Water parameters fine. Feeding frozen flake and pellet (all w/ garlic). LR/LS, softies, cuc.

Here's what happened:

Introduced Powder Brown Tang one month ago (no quarantine)

2 weeks ago: Coral Beauty developed ich. It cleared up but

10 days ago: I noticed a milky white sheen covering most of its body and slightly distended eyes, also milky.

9 days ago: Lawnmower Blenny dead.

7 Days ago: Tang shows blotchy coloring and peeling skin (spends time next to power head. All fish still eating

5 days ago: Hermit crab banquet! Tang and CB dead. Two clowns and 2 firefish show fin deterioration and milky sheen.

4 days ago: One clown develops red lesion on pectoral fin. One firefish dead. Fish not eating.

2 days ago: One clown dead.

Today: Other clown dies. Remaining firefish MIA.

From what I have described, do you think this was Marine Velvet? or advanced ich?

How long do you think the tank should lie fallow before intro of new inhabitants?

Please use this example as a reason for the importance of quarantining new inhabitants.

RBU1
03/13/2010, 09:26 AM
I would leave your tank fallow for 12 weeks. Some will say 8 but I prefer a longer time frame. Make sure in the future you properly QT all fish, coral, inverts and anything wet....

Take the time now to set up a QT and let it get well established before you add any fish to it.