PDA

View Full Version : Clown fish acting weird

Reeferon
03/13/2010, 09:56 AM
I have a TR true percula clown fish who has been in my tank for about three weeks now.
Before I got him I had three damsels that were doing just fine in the tank.

He was stressed in the store because the store had just moved locations and the tank had not been set up again for very long.
He was also stressed because there were a ton of other TR percs in there and they were beating up on eachother.

Well, I got him because I felt bad for him because he was getting his butt kicked.
He wasn't doing well and was gasping at first.

Now he's been eating prime reef flake and looks healthier, but he doesnt leave this one corner of the tank. It's really odd.

Do you think he may have had oxygen deprivation and had some brain damage?

I added a bubble anemone a couple days ago, which according to what I read he may host.

Any other suggestions to get him to quit being such a weirdo?

easydoesit
03/13/2010, 10:50 AM
I'm no clownfish expert, but it sounds like he may just be shy or have picked out a spot of the tank he likes. At a college I used to attend there were a pair of clowns that only stayed on the far right side of the reef and it was a pretty good size tank. They just had established territory and I never saw them anywhere else (they had no anemone).

I have two ocellaris (real small juvies) and they sleep in the same place on the sand bed every night. I have a BTA but they haven't hosted it yet (my sexy shrimp just moved in though).

Unless he's flipping circles it sounds like from what you said he might just need to recover more/ is a little shy from being harassed/ or maybe just likes his corner.

tahoe61
03/13/2010, 11:02 AM
You did an act of kindness, which is good, but that particular clownfish may never change its behaviors. I would try to spend more time with it, by sitting and watching it eat and try hand feeding it.
If you still have the damsels and they are the blue only aggressive type they may be bullying him. Just a fishes body language is enough to scare an already shy fish believe or not.

jenjen
03/13/2010, 11:28 AM
My pair of ocellaris clowns stay right in the corner by the overflow in my 180g. They've been with me for 2 years, they're very fat and healthy. This is just where they live. They're very assertive and chase everyone out of their corner (even the tangs). And yes, I too have a BTA which they don't appear to have noticed. :D

As long as it's eating and not breathing heavy, it's likely fine. Clowns are pretty tough, so it will probably recover ok. But don't go on anymore fish rescue missions! Only pick strong, healthy fish to add to your system.

Reeferon
03/13/2010, 05:13 PM
I know I shouldn't have picked him, but my gf was eager to get a fish in the tank.

There were also several TP clowns getting picked on in the tank. I chose the best looking. (as far as markings)

Reeferon
03/13/2010, 07:13 PM
I just went by the fish store today and it seems like all of their tr percs are doing the same thing!

It was the weirdest thing.
Half of them were on one front corner facing the back. The other half were on the other front corner also facing the back. Then there was one lone clown fish in the center facing forward.

They were all swimming in place. like zombies.

kbb0118
03/13/2010, 07:23 PM
I breed clowns. In my experience they pick a spot in the tank and don't wander far like easydoesit said. They just do their little wiggle swim all day and night. I have entire tanks of juvie clowns that are perfectly healthy and happy just swimming in place like zombies - unless it's feeding time!

marinehrnt
03/13/2010, 08:18 PM
I have two clowns as well that just sit in one corner of my tank and never seem to leave. They are healthy and eat well but have no desire to leave their spot, seems to be norm with clowns.