PDA

View Full Version : Low Calcium

travis32
03/13/2010, 07:09 PM
I finally got an API Calcium test kit. (errg. $13.00) oh well.

I tested the water today and it it came out to around 320. That's after a water change just last week using the last of my Red See Salt mix. (I know not using that salt again, I got a reef mix now that I'll use next.)

So, what's the impact to my LPS (which I got 3 more sets of corals today, 1 LPS and two softies.) Again more nano frags, this time from a person that's moving his 210 g tank.

So, I doesed a Kents Marine Reef mix today to see about raising the calcium levels. I'll test again tomorrow to determine how much it increased it if at all.

What's the impact to my soft and LPS corals if calcium levels remain around 300 to 320 for an extended period of time? Will they slowly die of starvation, simply not grow as much as they could, or not be as "pretty" and/or healthy looking as they could be?

I don't know if 320 is really overly low, but, let me know thoughts.

TIA!

zero26
03/13/2010, 09:54 PM
320 is low. It should be around 380-440. Just bring it up slow around 50 ppm a day to be on the safe side.

Shane Hoffman
03/13/2010, 10:23 PM
Yes thats low. It will not cause any issues as severe as death but can inhibit growth. Look into picking up a calcium supplement or visit Bulkreefsupply.com and pick up some 2 part solution which will keep your alk and calcium balanced.