PDA

View Full Version : My new Haddoni

slk55r
03/13/2010, 08:25 PM
I just received a incredibly healthy haddoni carpet from Extreme Corals. It was sold to me as a red haddoni of 6 inches.

I was a bit skeptical of the size (since they are so hard to get) also this was my first purchase from this vendor.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!

The shipping was perfect in a well insulated box. Quadruple bagged with inner bag black lined. The anemone arrived with its mouth fully closed and attached to the inner bag. It looked fantastic ... sort of a dull red. The pictures really didn't do it justice.

Now that its been in my tank for about 8 hours it has fully planted his foot and expanded to about 6 inches.

Coloration is extremely nice. It has a dark blue base and its tentacles near its mouth are green near the base and orange at the tips. (more orange than green) As the tentacles go out to the edges of the anemone they become more red. Still definitely more orange in my opinion than red though. (My kids swear its more pink at the edges)

Is it normal to see a quad-color haddoni? I will have to get someone else to take the pics of this because I know I won't be able to show it with my iphone.

Thanks again Extreme Coral!

Haddonisreef
03/14/2010, 07:29 AM
We need pics of this bute!

clowns101
03/14/2010, 11:15 AM
YES WE NEED PICS!

Seems like theres been a few more 6 to 8 inch Red Haddoni's comeing in.BZA(Blue Zoo Aquatics)has one in!:
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1085&cid=74

Pinkskunk
03/15/2010, 06:17 AM
OK sorry to tell you but i dont suggest you take pics and post it before at least 1 month :D

the thing is there is a believe if you post pics too soon, it's kind of jinx (as they call it) the anemone and it goes downhill ...........

as with everyone, i want to see a pic of it in your tank, i saw that one on his website, but we can wait as we'd rather see it live and thrive for you than to rush and see a pic now. somehow it's kind of true if you post pics too soon after you got it, the anemone will decline :D

so please wait and come back and post pic after 1 month or so :)

as for the color, mother nature makes awesome things and if you see it like that, it is like that nothing to be normal or abnormal, the wierder the color, the more we like it. if the thing is healthy, that is what counts.

slk55r
03/15/2010, 11:07 AM
so far I haven't seen it have a gaping mouth at all. He seems to be completely settled in and seems to like the current flow.

Of course I have a blue spotted jawfish that lives in a clam shell right next to him ... hope he doesn't do anything stupid!

COreefer
03/15/2010, 06:38 PM
Do you have any pics??

slk55r
03/15/2010, 09:08 PM
according to pinkskunk I should wait another 3 weeks!

Honestly my pics suck from my iphone. I need to find someone in the bay area to show me what kind of camera I should use and how to take some of those amazing photos some of you take.

Readybreakletgo
03/15/2010, 09:15 PM
can't wait to see, I'd get one but im afraid its gonna eat my fish

LoneRanger
03/16/2010, 05:22 AM
Screw waiting we want pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d :d :d :d

Pinkskunk
03/16/2010, 11:25 AM
common guys most of you think a too-soon bragging and showing off of your beauty is likely to cause a jinx right? so let's wait guys give the carpet a chance to shine.......... :)

3 weeks will come around real fast, so dont do it now slk55r :D

Hey LoneRanger, i really like your footnote, truely indeed.

Pinkskunk
04/12/2010, 09:56 AM
ok the one month mark is tomorrow so we would like to see the pics of this baby tomorrow?

i hope you still have it.

Best.

slk55r
04/12/2010, 11:34 AM
I'll try and take some pics tonight of it.

slk55r
04/12/2010, 09:15 PM
Okay so this is the story on the red haddoni. It has been eating and mouth closed all the time. Only time I've seen its stomach come out a bit was when it was eating and it would engulf the food and shrink right back in within seconds.

About 2 weeks ago I think the clown fish must have damaged the petal a bit on a couple sides. As a result, the carpet folded over towards the mouth on those areas. The rest is open. Seems like the haddoni is still trying to get used to hosting a clownfish.

I have enclosed pics as well of the new gigantea that I got as well.

Pinkskunk
04/13/2010, 08:17 AM
thanks for the pics....... so far so good. hope things continue to do good for you.

If it were my tank, i would remove the clown, for now.

slk55r
04/13/2010, 09:57 AM
Been thinking about it. The carpet does seem to be getting used to him though. Also he only spends half his time in the carpet. The rest he spends in my Gonipora.

One of the main reasons for getting a bigger carpet was to try and get the clownfish to host there instead.

Pinkskunk
04/13/2010, 10:25 AM
usually my clown would just host in the carpets, but come feeding time they will dive deep inside the internal gut of the carpet to yank the food out and if they are unsuccessfull, they will bite the carpet mouth or mouth tissue......

i removed the clowns b/c they can be replaced, but not my carpets :D and besides, clownfishes breed by the hundreds, but not carpets. Sure this one is dead i can go buy another but i dont want to remove more carpets from the ocean b/c every one carpet survived there is probably 10 or 20 did not make it........

i have my Allardi and onyx host my carpets though. they are MUCH more gentle and even feed their host......

that is just me. Your clownfish has nice coloration though.