PDA

View Full Version : Paring Maroon Clownfish.........

juniorjose
03/13/2010, 10:04 PM
hey everyone.....:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

i know what some of u are thinking, but i thought i should try it for myself and see how it goes. i have seen many people successful in paring maroon clownfish using different methods. what im doing is this: i got a small maroon clownfish about 1/2 inch big today from a very nice lady. i have had a 2 and a 1/2 inch maroon for about 2 years now and wanted to try and pair it up. so far i have acclimated them both to my new 29 gallon tank. i took the baby maroon and put him in a betta fish container (plenty of room) and put that container in the tank so the female can check him out. when i first added him she immediatly came out from a hiding spot and nipped at the glass of the betta container a few times and went back to hiding (not sure what that means).

they are still getting used to their sourronding and not very active with each other. in fact they only time the female went to check him out was when i put him in. ever since then she is hiding.

i hope this turns out well.:love2:

im still new to this hobby and any advice from any of u would help. I LIKE CRTICISM =).

i havent taken picture yet because i cant find the camera. as soon as i do ill post some to see, but its basically a 29 gallon with a betta fish container on the inside holding the baby maroon so the female can get used to him.

fragboy94
03/13/2010, 11:23 PM
Booooo its a falure ittle never work

Naaa bro it will be fine just let him go broski oh and im gnna send the frags soon mby 2 weeks ok I wanna wait till its a lil warmer

Sisterlimonpot
03/13/2010, 11:53 PM
toss the little guy in there and they'll be fine together. They'll find each other and by morning they will being swimming together.

juniorjose
03/14/2010, 12:10 AM
yo fragboy...thanks for the advice

sisterlimonpot: this is the guy that i told u about that told me to let the baby be free.

For the rest of u who dont know. when the lights went off today the baby maroon escaped the container somehow. i spotted it and wanted to put him back, but then fragboy told me to just leave him be, so i did (of course i was scared, but i trusted him anyway). sure enough nothing happend at all and they are swimming next to each other and didnt even fight.

i had another thread open to be an extension on this one here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814158, but this is the main one im using, so comment on this one like fragboy and sisterlimonpot have.

fragboy94
03/14/2010, 12:21 AM
Told u big baby

juniorjose
03/14/2010, 12:38 AM
lol...

juniorjose
03/14/2010, 02:02 PM
hey guys i got some pics today of the two. they are acting like normal tank mates, they stay in the same corner of the tank and i saw the female mouthing him only once but nothing that would be a big deal. she barly touched.

o i also noticed that the male started to host my zoa that i have in the tank when the lights were off. but when the lights went on he got off of it.

here is the female:

the male:

both together:

i am just assuming they are a future pair based on their behavior....

let me know ur thoughts

fragboy94
03/14/2010, 02:29 PM
it looks like they are getting along 1++++++++++++++

rodsboys
03/14/2010, 04:29 PM
My gold stripes paired instantly.4.5" female and a 1" juvi. Best buds forever.
My white stripes however......

Nice pair you have by the way. I assume they are captive breed?

maroun.c
03/15/2010, 12:06 PM
Guess you got lucky.
sometimes watching maroon clowns pairing can be really tough.
Lost the female clown years ago and couldn't find a small male shortly so my 2-3 years old male turned into female. The first male I got for her was attacked non stop while in the separator for a week and when I tired a release she literally took his fins out... when I put in the net to pull him out he just jumped in and she even followed.
Then got a new male and with the second one he did the submission moves right even while after teh separator and it went fine since then. now they are spawning every two weeks.

Jacwil
03/15/2010, 12:15 PM
Following this one! We picked up a juvi Maroon, aybe an inch long, then a few weeks later got another similar in size. This was maybe 3 months ago. The first cpl days was a bit rough...lots of nipping, but now all is happy and they snuggle into their nem together each night. Good luck!

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 06:48 PM
Fragboy: thanks man. u never guess what i got dude!!!!!! ill ttyl

rodsboy:thanks, and yes these are captive breed maroon clownfish. how long did it take ur clowns to actually pair up together? right now my are not "paired up" i think because they dont stay together very much. the baby is hosting my zoa at the bottom and the female is just up in the water going around.

maroun: thanks for the input. my maroon seems to be getting along, i hope one day they spawn too. i want to ask the same question as i did for rod, how long did it take for them to actually pair up? my maroon are not fighting or anything occasionally they meet but the baby is hosting a zoa all the way at the bottom while the female stays at the top swimming. when will i know that they ae actually a paired mate?

jachil: how are they doing now and can u try to answer the same question i asked these other guys. thanks.

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 07:03 PM
do u guys thing that the baby one hosting the zoa could be a problem? i was thinking that the female needs to host something first than invit the male in. im confused:hmm5:

fragboy94
03/15/2010, 07:30 PM
sweet hey they can host wherever they want

tahoe61
03/15/2010, 08:08 PM
Clownfish host nothing, it is the coral or anemone that is the host. Just for future reference.

maroun.c
03/15/2010, 10:19 PM
maroun: thanks for the input. my maroon seems to be getting along, i hope one day they spawn too. i want to ask the same question as i did for rod, how long did it take for them to actually pair up? my maroon are not fighting or anything occasionally they meet but the baby is hosting a zoa all the way at the bottom while the female stays at the top swimming. when will i know that they ae actually a paired mate?

as long a there is no active nipping chasing or fighting it's all fine. Just give them some time. Do you see the make doing the submissive behavior (shaking when the female charges on him? and then going up and kissing her on the cheek? mroons are the only clowns who do the kiss on the cheek thing) Soon enought they'll stick to an area and claim it as their nest if they haven't got an anemone in the tank and they'lls tart cleaning it and not letting any fish close to it and afterwards tehy should start spawning every two weeks. mine took no more than 2-3 months to spawn for the first time.

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 10:27 PM
wow 2-3 months? thats really fast. i havent seen any submissive behavior yet, and i cant tell if his shaking or just swimming really fast. hes too small of a fish so it takes alot of tail power to swim. but to me it still looks like they are single. sometimes they are together and the other times they are on opposite sides of the tank.

Arc Katana
03/15/2010, 11:00 PM
Keep in mind you'll need your male to grow up a bit before he's ready to spawn - there isn't really a set schedule that they have for when they will start spawning. The biggest hurdle is make sure the female just doesn't just kill the male right off the bat, which it seems she didn't do. If they are hanging in the corner, try giving them a flowerpot to sit/lay eggs in.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 01:23 PM
thanks ARC. i got an anenome yesterday to see how they like it. turns out its a gbta, since bta are their natural host it should work right? but i have been having thoughts that the female may not becuse she hasnt seen one ever in her life, only the male tried hosting my zoa. the gbta is in hiding right now, so wen it comes out we'll see how it goes.

fragboy94
03/16/2010, 05:00 PM
arc katana let me guess halo jose hope it does good

Arc Katana
03/16/2010, 05:06 PM
arc katana let me guess halo

Nope - I've had this name since 1990 :)

fragboy94
03/16/2010, 05:38 PM
r u serious wow so u thought of it before halo came out hmm weird

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 05:41 PM
hes proly had so mad hook up...lol

by the way guys the clown finally hosted the nem i got yesterday...its awsome

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 07:54 PM
well i came back to give some news. my male maroon fish found the nem too now. my maroon arent still "pairs" yet. he is trying to get in the nem but she keeps taking him out. he is doing that submissive behavior everyone talks about, twichting. she even grabbed him by the fin a couple of times but didnt hurt him. he keeps twitching to her but shes not letting him in. he is still trying though. he keeps sucking on the nem and twitches when she comes. should i do anything?

they arent dancing around though

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 08:01 PM
here is a pic of the male trying to get in.

Arc Katana
03/16/2010, 10:55 PM
Junior,

Keep in mind your clowns might kill your anemone if it isn't big enough - usually the books say the anemone should be three times or bigger than the fish trying to host in it.

juniorjose
03/17/2010, 04:54 AM
yesterday i was trying to build it, but it ended up being too big to fit in the tank, so today imma finish it off. any idea on the way to build it? what if it wants to move somewhere else on the tank and the cage wont allow it? this morning it moved from the spot it was to the sand.

also another thing is that i tried feeding it yesterday a piece of prawn with selcon but it didnt eat it, the hermit crab found it and ate it.

juniorjose
03/17/2010, 03:08 PM
hey guys i came back from school and got a pic of the nem on the sand.

what do u guys think? thats it fully out is it big enough?i was wrong, it is about 4 inches wide...i was thinking about it and i can move the maroons to my nano if u guys think so. if i build the cage with eggcrate the male can go right through it, he is relly small.

the bubble tip lost its bubble at the end and the tenticles look thinner, yesterday i tried to feed it and it would not tak it. is that normal on the first trial of feeding?

let me now