PDA

View Full Version : My Helfrichi firefish and Purple firefish are atually getting along!!

Clover j
03/14/2010, 02:26 AM
Its only day one.......but after researching i read that they should sooo not get along...but i added the H.firefish today anyway and all is well!!! im so excited!! i hope it stays that way! if not the Purple firefish has to go.... :(

snorvich
03/14/2010, 09:22 AM
Talk to us in a month . . .

kwpgrooming
03/14/2010, 09:36 AM
I have a purple and orange firefish in a 72 gal for a little over a year now. They even live in the same hole together. It seems they have paired up if that is even possible.

DJPB
03/14/2010, 04:02 PM
good luck with that

Clover j
03/14/2010, 04:42 PM
i know...i may b prematurly excited but it too late..lol. their still doing well..the H.fish is smaller...maybe hes acepted im as his baby! or at least thats what im hoping...haaa

prickles
03/15/2010, 12:01 AM
I have kept a purple and 1-6 helfrichis in the same tank now for 2+ years. I started with the purple in a 110T, and added a tiny helfrichi, never saw a problem. about 6-9 months ago I increased it to a school of helfrichis and have no problems (now in a 300). The purple sorta schooled with them at first, which was annoying since it doesn't match...but that's been my biggest problem with them socially. I did however put them all in a 60g hospital tank for 8 weeks with many other fishes without any aggression as well.

yellojello
04/18/2010, 05:08 AM
Clover j,

Do you have an update? Size of tank and other livestock?

I've had a 2" purple firefish for about 2 weeks, and then added 1" helfrichi a week later. So they live in separate holes on the opposite ends of the tank. 120g 4x2x2. So far so good.

TampaReefer79
04/18/2010, 09:23 AM
I just wonder and HAVE to ask...if you read about it and heard it shouldn't and 'couldn't' be done and would be war...why did you try it anyway?

Just wondering.

Clover j
04/18/2010, 12:02 PM
I just wonder and HAVE to ask...if you read about it and heard it shouldn't and 'couldn't' be done and would be war...why did you try it anyway?

Just wondering.

I'm not sure why...lol....I had ordered the H. Fish from the LFS and didn't think they would hav it so fast. Then went to a different store and saw the purple one on sale so I got it. Thinking it would b fine for them to b together. Then later the same day my LFS called and sayed they got the H fish. Something told me to look up if they would b ok together and sure enough they it said they wouldn't. I decided to try it for a few days and if I saw aggression I'd pull the purple out. Everything was fine for a while. They were in a 24 gallon and in the same hole. Then a bout a week ago the H. fish was dead in the back. I probably should hav just pulled the purple but oh well too late! But I'm starting a Red Sea Max 250 which is 65 gallons. And I'm NOT going to transfer the purple. So I can have a small school of H. Fish.

TampaReefer79
04/18/2010, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure why...lol....I had ordered the H. Fish from the LFS and didn't think they would hav it so fast. Then went to a different store and saw the purple one on sale so I got it. Thinking it would b fine for them to b together. Then later the same day my LFS called and sayed they got the H fish. Something told me to look up if they would b ok together and sure enough they it said they wouldn't. I decided to try it for a few days and if I saw aggression I'd pull the purple out. Everything was fine for a while. They were in a 24 gallon and in the same hole. Then a bout a week ago the H. fish was dead in the back. I probably should hav just pulled the purple but oh well too late! But I'm starting a Red Sea Max 250 which is 65 gallons. And I'm NOT going to transfer the purple. So I can have a small school of H. Fish.

Definitely an expensive lesson. One thing you'll learn is that if you have 2 fish that don't get along, the cheaper of the 2 will kill the more expensive one. lol It's just fact. The $25 fish will kill the $100 fish every time. :rolleyes: (or so it seems)

prickles
04/18/2010, 11:40 PM
I still haven't seen my purple bother my helfrichis. The helfrichis chase each other a bit, but the purple is on another planet as far as I can tell.

reefsafe
04/19/2010, 02:25 PM
Mine were fine for about 8 months...now just the purple remains

Clover j
04/19/2010, 04:42 PM
Definitely an expensive lesson. One thing you'll learn is that if you have 2 fish that don't get along, the cheaper of the 2 will kill the more expensive one. lol It's just fact. The $25 fish will kill the $100 fish every time. :rolleyes: (or so it seems)

Haahaaa yeah that is soooo funny and true!!!!! And YES it was a pricey lesson. I paid 70 for the H. Fish. And 24 for the purple. But its cool. now I make sure to do my research before I buy a fish... even if I think I already know.