PDA

View Full Version : Strange growths. Disease ID please. Pinnate Batfish

r0cksteady
03/14/2010, 03:12 AM
Hi Guys,

Any idea of what this is? My batfish has had it for a few weeks now. Still eating normally and behaving healthy. Looked in a few books and im not sure exactly what it is.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/Disease%20IDs/_IGP5784.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/Disease%20IDs/_IGP5783.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/r0cksteady_scarlett/Disease%20IDs/_IGP5782.jpg

r0cksteady
03/14/2010, 05:52 PM
Anyone?

JHemdal
03/15/2010, 11:18 AM
I would say Lymphocystis, but I've never seen that where the enlarged cells took on the color of the underlying skin like that.

Definately hyperplasia of the skin cells - probably due to a virus.

Jay

r0cksteady
03/16/2010, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Jay, in reading up on both it seems that there is no cure. Is it best that I put the fish down? Thankfully this occurred in my quarantine tank and he is the only fish in it. He is eating normally and it does not seem to effect him but if theres no way to eliminate the disease and it can spread to other fish Im not sure if theres anything I can try?

Its been a few weeks already with him like this though I can just see if he comes good in a month.

Thoughts?

JHemdal
03/16/2010, 07:52 AM
Jason,

Unless the lesion begin to involve the mouth, I would try to keep the fish going. If it is Lymphocystis, it does resolve on its own after a few months (although this is a severe case). If the fish was suffering, it would stop feeding, so that is not a worry - no matter how gross the lesions look.
You definately DO NOT want to try any sort of surgery - that only spreads the virus (perhaps a moot point since it is the only fish in the tank?) and pinnatus simply do not take kindly to being caught up and handled in any way - that is obviously how the virus gained entry into the fish - through torn fins and body scrapes - you can see the one growth right on the torn dorsal fin.
Signs of bacterial infection are another story - if you see fins actually eroding, then secondary infection has set in and you'll need to revise your course of action.

Jay

r0cksteady
03/16/2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time out to advise me.

I had been treating with 'API Melafix' which I believe is basically a low level of 'Tea Tree Oil'. Is this suitable to help the fish along?

Is treating with copper going to help in anyway?

If secondary infection kicks in (which I dont think it has yet as he still seems fully finned etc). What steps can I take to help him fight it off or is it more a him vs the disease.

JHemdal
03/16/2010, 10:41 AM
Jason,

Copper would only make things worse, so if it doesn't have signs of a parasite infection, don't treat with copper. Melafix, as far as I know, has not had any clinical trials run on its efficacy.

A broad spectrum antibiotic, effective against gram negative bacteria would be your first choice - *if* you see fin rot. I'm not sure what is available to you, but you could consider Neomycin, maybe Maracyn II (not I). Or - if you have a good local store, you could ask them what they have in stock....

Jay