PDA

View Full Version : What dry food do you feed your clown/how often?

piscivorous
03/14/2010, 04:53 PM
I read the sticky on feeding your clownfish. I know they like a varied diet and I keep reading wonderful reviews on Rod's food for the whole reef tank. I am just wondering if you guys are ALWAYS feeding your clowns fresh/frozen foods or do you ever suppliment them with dried flake foods? If you do, how often do you feed dried flake foods vs. frozen/fresh foods? What brands of dried flake foods do you recommend.

*I've spent so much time research equipment and setting up my tank that I haven't had much time yet to actually research the livestock....a pair of Percula clowns will be my centerpiece fish species and likely the first fish in the tank after the cycle*

clowns101
03/14/2010, 05:08 PM
Well I will tell you what I feed and how I do it.

Monday:
8:00-Omega one Flake food
12:00-Mysis shrimp
4:00-Omega one Flake Food

Tuesday:
8:00-Omega one Flake Food

Wedesnday:
12:00-Enriched Brin Shrimp

Thursday:

Friday:
12:00-Mysis Shrimp
4:00-Omega one Flake food

Saturday:
4:00-Omega one Flake food

Sunday:
Fast( no food is given)

Let me know if this is good infomarion for you I tried my best!

MarineFlake
03/14/2010, 05:14 PM
Once everyday: dry flakes. Usually when I get home from work. We do 'fast' for a day about once a week. Overfeeding is a common source of all kinds of problems but you have to adjust to your tanks needs.

GL!

clowns101
03/14/2010, 05:19 PM
Sorry if you all think I over feed.I have a large room full of clown pairs Im tring to get breeding.By feeding 3 times a day I am "conditioning" them to spawn.

Arc Katana
03/15/2010, 11:13 PM
Everyone is busy, so I made a quick method on feeding that takes just a little time:

Every morning I pick one of the dried foods I have:
Omega One flake, Hikari Marine, Freeze dried Blood Worms, Freeze Dried Mysis, Cyclopeeze

Afternoon I pick a different dried food from above:

Nighttime (about an hour or so before lights out): I go with one of the following frozen:
Enriched Brine, Formula 1 cubes, Mysis, Formula 2 cubes

One day a week (usually a day off) I feed three times a day my "cocktail":

Squid, shrimp, cod, Selcon, Mussels, Clam, Garlic Extreme. This is ground up in a blender, frozen, and then I break a little bit off and toss in tank.

Once a week they get live:
Blood Worms, Brine Shrimp, Reef Pods (mixed variety). Sometimes I cheat and just give them Reef Pods (I scoop a cup out/strain and then dump into brood stock tank).

You'll know you're feeding them if your eggs are a nice orange color when they lay them.

piscivorous
03/16/2010, 06:04 AM
Does everyone feed their clowns three times a day, or is that just if you are trying to breed them?

Rod Buehler
03/16/2010, 06:05 AM
Sorry if you all think I over feed.I have a large room full of clown pairs Im tring to get breeding.By feeding 3 times a day I am "conditioning" them to spawn.

I only feed once a day ( high quality frozen) :)and every pair I have has spawned within a few weeks of me obtaining them. I do feed heavily though.

clowns101
03/16/2010, 02:41 PM
Ya I only feed a pinch or 2.It just keeps me busy!

ILLiDaN
03/16/2010, 02:52 PM
Rods food only, when i am lazy or having a busy day ill toss ORAglo, or spectrum grow

rednkfish
03/18/2010, 09:03 AM
I feed once a day and they have layed three sets of eggs already had them less than a year I dont have the time to fish them out so its free fish food for the tank.

I only feed once a day ( high quality frozen) :)and every pair I have has spawned within a few weeks of me obtaining them. I do feed heavily though.

stevetcg
03/18/2010, 09:33 AM
My GSM gets minced shrimp/clam/squid in the AM and then 3 or 4 1mm New Life Spectrum pellets two times throughout the weekday and then weekends he gets minced in the AM and thats it.

My Occs get minced and pellets twice a day.

SNAKEMANVET
03/18/2010, 10:21 AM
I feed omaga one day and mysis the next once a day.

Bigshow
03/18/2010, 01:01 PM
Monday Mysis, Tuesday, Few pellets of form 1and2. Wednesday lots of pellets of form 1and2. Thursday Fast. Friday Cyclopeezs. Sat Pellets 1and 2. Fast on sunday.

Sugar Magnolia
03/18/2010, 01:19 PM
My poor fish are probably bored to death. They mainly get NLS thera-a, and occasionally Omega One flake. Once a week they'll get mysis or Rod's Food.

Toddrtrex
03/18/2010, 01:22 PM
I usually only use dry foods (( Spectrum pellets )) as a in between snack or when I am in a hurry. Otherwise they get Rod's food (( red, blue and green label )), LifeLine's herbivore mix, Prime reef, mysis(d), and some other frozen food that I am forgetting.

I usually feed twice a day, and sometimes 3 during the weekends.

DeathWish302
03/18/2010, 01:53 PM
Nothing special in my routine, as I feed when I make time...

Mon-Fri
Morning: Omega Veggie/Marine 1 Flake or ON Prime Reef Flake
Night: ON Formula 1 cube or home-brew mix (squid, shrimp, beefheart, mussels, scallops, rots, NHBBS, dash of lemon juice & spinach) combined with some mysis

Sat-Sun
Morning: NLS Marine Pellet or Hikari pellet
Night: ON Formula 1 cube or home-brew mix combined with some mysis

About every 2 days I feed a portion of Cyclopeeze to the clowns before feeding their normal nightly ration. This makes sure they devour the tiny cyclopeeze first.

Then two days later 2-4 live blackworms are fed to each fish. If you have a large enough culture, you will not have to ever buy blackworms but once. I have the same culture from about 6 months ago. When the culture starts thinning out. I lower the qty fed.

tufacody
03/18/2010, 02:32 PM
I feed twice a day. One meal is fresh/frozen and the other is flake. I alternate between prime reef and formula 2. Occs and marroon spawning regulary on this diet, black photons not yet.

pugcrush
03/18/2010, 11:41 PM
+1 Rod's food

iamborg
03/19/2010, 12:20 AM
I have 3 pairs of clown

1) Regular True-perc pair (2 years old) spawned. >> Formula 1 pellets only. Once a day.
2) Rods Onyx (about 1 year old ). >> Formula 1 pellets + some Hirkari pellets. Once a day.
3) Donis Picasso (4-5month old). >> New Life spectrum + Hirkari. 2X a day

They dont like flakes. No frozon mysis also.

Flying_Hellfish
03/19/2010, 08:21 AM
Mostly tagging along, I'm far too new to offer advice but this is what I do for my two Ocell. Clowns :

I mix it up and feed a small amount 2-3 times a day depending on my work schedule. I use a combo of hakkari frozen mysis, prime reef flakes and NLS Thera+A pellets. About 3 times a week I will thaw the mysis in garlic guard and selcon.

I've read some talk about people saying it is good for them to fast a day so I'm thinking about throwing that into my rotation.

My two clowns are pretty much pigs and will devour anything I put in the tank, but I feel like I'm spoiling them a little some days considering they fast became my two favorites. :D

pr12
03/19/2010, 12:31 PM
I feed ON formula 1 and 2 pellets and freeze dried blood worms at night, sometimes a combination or just one of the 3 depending on time. Then I feed marine cuisine and homemade food (squid, shrimp, very finely chopped nori, clams, mussels, oyster, and whatever other fish products are laying around when I make it) 2x during the day.

reeefraf
03/19/2010, 01:00 PM
Question on feeding frozen foods. I feed frozen mysis, i put the cube in a cup and add some tank water to melt it then feed to the fish.

How does everyone else do it, I always hear the frozen water that the mysis is in is bad, but i have a difficult time straining them. They usually get stuck in the strainer.

DeathWish302
03/19/2010, 01:25 PM
Question on feeding frozen foods. I feed frozen mysis, i put the cube in a cup and add some tank water to melt it then feed to the fish.

How does everyone else do it, I always hear the frozen water that the mysis is in is bad, but i have a difficult time straining them. They usually get stuck in the strainer.

You can use one a stainless coffee pot inserts, some polyester window sheer or a coffee filter. If you want to try the window sheer, shoot me a PM with your address and I can send you some.

HTH

Rhizo
03/19/2010, 01:39 PM
Feed #1 Rod's Food Fish Eggs. <<< Pellet sized and perfect for my baby clowns who try to compete with the bigger tank-mates.

Feed #2 Rod's Food Pacific Plankton <<< It's Mysis but unlike Mysis(freshwater) this stuff comes from saltwater. Very high in nutrients. :thumbsup:

Feed #3 The Original Rod's food <<< At this point my fish eat little. Most of the food goes to the corals.

Feed #4 Another batch of Rod's Fish Eggs. Makes me feel good to see the hungry wrasses, blennies, and clowns get one last snack before lights out. :beer:

ILLiDaN
03/19/2010, 02:05 PM
i wouldn't suggest feeding as much as this guy, without the proper nutrient export.

davocean
03/19/2010, 02:50 PM
Before I had anthias, I only fed once a day, and maybe even skipped a day now and then, of a varied diet containing spectrum pellets, flake, mysis, cyclopseze.
Now I have to feed 3-4 times a day mysis for anthias.
I only feed a little more volume than before, just spread out more, but all my fish benefit from the multi feedings, so...
I do agree, I have to compensate by more aggressive skimming and WC's